June Monthly Assignment - BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_W

The Dude
June 2014 Monthly Assignment: Birds, Birds, Birds!!!

_DWE4114.jpg_DWE4304-2.jpg_1DW6967.jpg

It's late spring here in the northern hemisphere and the birds are on the move. This month's assignment is to capture some of these birds, whether exotic or common, as they go about their lives. Bring out your inner wildlife photographer and try to capture your chosen bird in the best possible light. Keep in mind the rules of good portrait photography (ie - good lighting, eyes easily seen and if possible, some amount of catchlight in their eyes, etc.) for the best possible images. Also feel free to give some background on how you made this shot as well as what kind of bird you have captured and any interesting facts that go along with your subject. If you live in the southern hemisphere you may have to search a little harder to find a bird but with a little luck and effort, I suspect you'll be successful.

I hope you'll have a great time practicing and will enjoy this Assignment.

Assignments are designed to help you grow your photography skills and creativity, and have fun doing so. Assignments are to make all of us photographers think outside the box also.

The Rules

1. Any photo submitted for a monthly assignment must be taken during the month specified in the assignment thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIFdata can be verified, we will use the honor system.
  2. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge. Links to photos will not be considered an entry.
  3. Only three photo entries per member, for each assignment, unless otherwise indicated.
  4. Assignments will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
  5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image, the number of "likes" received by the entries, and, the moderator's selections.
  6. The panel will select 5 shots to be displayed in the Monthly Challenge forum and homepage of the site.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the assignment. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the assignment subject.

Last edited:

wornish

This is going to be a tough one considering the standard of the bird and bird in flight shots on here.

Bob Blaylock

This is Ava. She's the silliest bird in my home.

My wife and I never really formed the intent to have a bird as a pet. This one showed up on our doorstep one very cold winter night, injured and starving and cold. We took her in, and did the best we could to care for her. We weren't sure she'd recover, so bad did her injuries appear to be, but she recovered amazingly well. That was more than eleven years ago, and she's still with us. We figure she was probably someone else's pet that escaped, only to discover that being a domesticated dove, she was ill-equipped to survive in the wild.

CSC_1410.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
[MENTION=16749]Bob Blaylock[/MENTION], since you don't have a signature, the like/thanks button isn't showing up for your posts. Hopefully @jdeg will get it sorted out soon, or at least consider making a signature. If you do, delete these posts then add your photos again so you can get some likes for them. :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
@Bob Blaylock, since you don't have a signature, the like/thanks button isn't showing up for your posts. Hopefully @jdeg will get it sorted out soon, or at least consider making a signature. If you do, delete these posts then add your photos again so you can get some likes for them. :)
Got it sorted :)

outlet15

DSC_2392_edited-2.jpg
2nd Entry "Forgive me feathers, for I have sinned." D7100, 200mm, f2.8, 1/60sec, 100ISO. Topaz Gritty filter editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.