D90 multiple exposure mode question.

M.Hinch

If I have read it correctly, I can take 2 or 3 shots and the camera will blend the photos
together. Every where I look says keep (gain) on. It further says that if taking 2 shot, it
will Ev them at 1/2 and if I take 3 it will Ev them at 1/3. K got all that.

Now the question, if I take 2 shots will the first be 1/2 Ev over or under exposed and will
the second be 1 Ev over or under exposed? And the same with taking 3 shot 1/3, 2/3, 1
full Ev under or over?

Thanks
Michael

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure how to answer your question. A lot depends on the scene you want to blend. Remember, we are talking digital, you can see what you will try on the fly. So, I guess it will be up to you to experiment and find out.
The thing you have to remember is that anything white or pale will erase the dark material under. It's like you will erasing darkness with the scenes you will superimpose.
Have fun and remember to share your results on this forum.
Hope I've helped a bit.

Marcel

Last edited by a moderator:

M.Hinch

No multiple exposure mode, but with bracketing. I have no idea why the (GAIN) needs to be on.
Every web site I have been to says, gain on.

But what is gain?

Manual says 2 shots 1/2 exposure each, 3 shot 1/3 exposure each. It does not tell me whether they are underexposed
each , each of each other or all the same exposure.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

PhotoAV8R

I see they used the term "gain" in the manual, but I'm not sure that's the correct usage. Gain is normally amplification - in this context, it's (reduction of) amplification.

With two shots, setting the "gain" to 1/2 produces one half the necessary light for a proper exposure in each shot. 1/2 plus 1/2 = 1, so the two photos combined equal the proper exposure for the scene. Also, 3 times 1/3 = 1.

Math major...before there was dirt.

M.Hinch

Thank you PhotoAV8R for the explanation, have been researching the web for a week with no luck.

Just so I understand correctly, if I turn off "gain", meter the scene for the sky, then meter land, recompose the shot, bracket EV the shot for both accordingly.
I should come out with a proper exposed shot for all intents and purposes?(on a tripod, and use of a wireless remote).

Michael

PhotoAV8R

Just so I understand correctly, if I turn off "gain", meter the scene for the sky, then meter land, recompose the shot, bracket EV the shot for both accordingly.
I should come out with a proper exposed shot for all intents and purposes?(on a tripod, and use of a wireless remote).
You lost me, Michael. (Which isn't hard to do.)

The intent of selecting Auto Gain, AIUI, is to have the exposure for multiple shots add up to the proper exposure for the finished photo. If you do not select Auto Gain, then the exposure of each shot in the bracket still adds its part to the finished photo.

I would say the best thing, for either method, is to experiment.