Zoom or prime ?

Skwaz

Ok guys what's my next lens
I have kit 18-55vr
kit 18-105 vr
sigma 70-300 I miss the vr on this one and find it hard to get sharp images . Not all the lens fault
now ! Do I go for a fast 1.8 50mm
or Nikon 55-300 vr
ok your gunna say what you taking photos off ? Well just about anything
mostly out in the fields but want something more
50mm is calling me but do I go for the G or cheaper D
im sure you all have opinions can't wait

Skwaz

thanx for your interest
budget? Same as most of you guys
Not a lot
Would love the tele with vr but I feel the 50 maybe make me better
photographer as in composing the shot and the 1.8 gives more scope
Prime or tele
thinking prime at this time

Horoscope Fish

thanx for your interest
budget? Same as most of you guys
Not a lot
Would love the tele with vr but I feel the 50 maybe make me better
Prime or tele
The 50mm f/1.8G is a great lens. I prefer the 35mm f/1.8G but that's a personal preference. Neither will make you "a better photographer as in composing the shot", however; I wish it was that easy. Improving composition requires learning and applying good compositional technique. If you seriously want to learn better composition you should consider spending some time with The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman or, for Jedi-Knight mastery of the subject, try wrapping your brain around The Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbaum.

RocketCowboy

If you seriously want to learn better composition you should consider spending some time with The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman or, for Jedi-Knight mastery of the subject, try wrapping your brain around The Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbaum.

I just grabbed both books, thanks HF!

Blacktop

I feel the 50 maybe make me better
Prime or tele

It will not. If this is why you want to buy that lens you will be sorely disappointed.
You already have 2 lenses that cover the 50mm range. Yes the prime is a little sharper, but not by that much.
You will not all of a sudden get warm and glowy photographs like the ones you see on 500px or 1x, because you're buying a prime 1.8 lens.

Like Mr Fish said. Practice your composition. It is everything!

Also photography is all about emotions. I can stare at a low quality photo that brings out emotion in me (sadness, humor etc) a lot longer, then a fantastic looking sharp image of a flower or some portrait.

I like to compare photography to music. Some guitar players can bring tears to your eyes playing 2 notes, while some others can play a hundred notes a second, and it's like, blah..who cares?

Elliot87

Like others have said it really depends on your budget.
From what I've seen the Nikon 55-300 VR is in the region of £350.
For around £370 you could buy both the 50 1.8d (£80) and the Tamron 70-300 VC (£290).
I haven't used either of the 300mm lenses but from what I've read the Tamron has superior image stabalisation than the Nikon VR and it has better optics and autofocus. It is roughly on par with Nikons 70-300, which is a better lens than the 55-300 from what I've read.
For £440 you could get the 50 1.8g and the Tamron 70-300VC, you'll have only spent around £90 more and will have two superior lenses to the 55-300 in my opinion.

Sorry if that's too much info and I've got prices from a quick google search, so there could be better deals out there.