Bag for DSLR

barriebw

I am about to purchase a bag to carry my D3100 + 18-55mm lens attached. I also have a 55-300mm lens and a few filters etc.

I want to buy a small bag that will fit inside my backpack when I travel. My plan was to insert the camera body with lens attached down into the bag so that the lens rests on the padded base of the bag. Of course the lens then has to support the weight of the camera.

Is that bad practice to carry a camera around like that?

Would value any advice.
Thanks

fotojack

My best advice to you for carrying around your camera and equipment would be to get a bag dedicated to camera equipment. Don't Mickey Mouse your gear. It would cost a lot to replace, wouldn't it! My recommendation would be the Lowepro 202AW. Go to their website at Lowepro | Home and check out the one I'm suggesting. Let us know what you decide on. :)

barriebw

Thanks fotojack
I did intend to purchase a dedicated camera bag because of the padding etc. I walked around London streets today visiting the various camera stores. All stores stock LowePro. In fact mostly that is all they do stock. I'll make a decision next week.
You made no comment on my query about standing the camera on its lens in the bag. From the pictures of camera bags it seems to be a popular position to carry a camera. Is that what you do?

JoeLewisPhotography

The bag Jack has, when wearing it, the camera is on it's side. It's a sling bag. When on your back, you can swing it around to the front for quick and easy access to your gear. I am getting the same bag. I had a Tamrac back pack bag, where the camera would be upside down (standing on the lens) and it's fine...especially in a camera bag where there is tons of padding...because it's technically NOT standing on the lens...it's suspended at the body mostly.
Even without padding, I doubt it would harm anything as the body doesn't have enough weight to bear down on the lens.

In summary...if the bag is made for a DSLR, it doesn't matter if the camera gets stored upside down, sideways, or inside out. It will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

The bag Jack has, when wearing it, the camera is on it's side. It's a sling bag. When on your back, you can swing it around to the front for quick and easy access to your gear. I am getting the same bag. I had a Tamrac back pack bag, where the camera would be upside down (standing on the lens) and it's fine...especially in a camera bag where there is tons of padding...because it's technically NOT standing on the lens...it's suspended at the body mostly.
Even without padding, I doubt it would harm anything as the body doesn't have enough weight to bear down on the lens.

In summary...if the bag is made for a DSLR, it doesn't matter if the camera gets stored upside down, sideways, or inside out. It will be fine.

Everything Joe said.........exactly. :) Well said, Joe. :)

JoeLewisPhotography

Looks too much like a purse for ME Jen lol....The passport doesn't look to accommodate a body with a grip...does it? That's the problem I had...I bought my bag, and loved it, it worked perfect, until I bought a grip...then it became useless to me.

Just something to consider when buying a bag...any potential future purchases that may change the size of your gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPYWIZARD

I just got a Lowepro Magnum 200 to store all my stuff at home. I just thought it worked best for me. I have a Kata top-loader for light travel. I was extremely impressed when researching the Porta Brace bags and want one one day - but expensive. I feel like my wife with her attraction to purses.....

jengajoh

Joe, maybe you just need to be more comfortable with your masculinity... ;) It's like a messenger bag, but no, it probably would not accommodate a battery grip, which I didn't think about until now and I may be extremely disappointed when I get a battery grip in a few weeks.

JoeLewisPhotography

I just got my Lowepro slingshot 302AW. (opted for 1 size larger than Jacks 202AW. Fantastic bag. Large enough for my gripped D300s with 17-55 2.8 attached, my sb-900, pocket wizards, a couple lenses, and all my misc. junk. 2 favorite parts....#1 is the sling style, comfortable as a back pack, and super easy access without having to take the bag off, and #2 was the price. There is a store on ebay that sells them new for $77 and free shipping.

Last edited:

PavementPilot

My best advice to you for carrying around your camera and equipment would be to get a bag dedicated to camera equipment. Don't Mickey Mouse your gear. It would cost a lot to replace, wouldn't it! My recommendation would be the Lowepro 202AW. Go to their website at Lowepro | Home and check out the one I'm suggesting. Let us know what you decide on. :)

I have this one, and love it. Easy quick access.

fotojack

Yup, love my Lowepro 202. Comfortable and easy to carry and use. I've even picked up recently a waist pouch for carrying extra lenses and filters, etc. It's called the Sideline Shooter by Lowepro. Very handy.
View attachment 2973

Last edited:

jengajoh

I need a real backpack with 2 straps when I'm going to be walking around all day. I pulled something in my neck last weekend from carrying my bag around for miles. (And it is still killing me) It's a messenger type bag, which is perfect for most days. But I need something with even weight distribution for long days and travelling, and something that doesn't look so boring. :) I wish camera bags weren't so expensive.

jcottone45

Try a sporting goods outlet, it just might be cheaper. Backpackers seem to be comfortable with them & they certainly can hold some heavy items just be sure they have some kind of padding to protect your equipment.

JoeLewisPhotography

Jen...You might be surprised at how comfortable a sling style pack is. Just saying....you may want to try one at your local camera store before making a decision. It's a lot different than carrying one over one shoulder because of the strap design. Food for thought.

fotojack

Jen, I can walk around all day with my Lowepro 202AW sling bag, and I can barely tell it's there! This is one comfortable bag, believe me. It even has a sternum strap so it won't flop around should you have to run anywhere. It can carry a tripod or a monopod with it's built in holder, it has a built in rain cover, it's well padded. I carry 4 lenses, flash, batteries, notepad, pen, filters, remote shutter release, etc etc. Joe has the bigger 302 model that can carry even more! And.......it's warranted for life! Something to think about, girl. :)

jengajoh

I've seen the lowepro sling bags/ slingshots, and maybe they are comfortable, but they are kinda ugly too. :) I'm a girl so I want a nice looking bag as well.

Also, I'm a bagaholic when it comes to any bag. And... I'm picky.

Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

Function over form for me. What it holds and how it protects is all I care about. Then again Im a guy. The ton of extra money you spend on a bag that suits your visual taste, that does the same exact thing as a much cheaper bag, could be spend on actual gear.

In the end, it is your money, and your style, so whatever floats your boat is all that matters right?