Upgrade from D7000 to D610?

DKline

Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has upgraded from a D7000/7100 to the D610.
I am planing on jumping into the full frame world, but, wasn't sure which direction I should go.
Why the D610? I probably would choose the D800 but the main reason that wont happen is 4 FPS. (I mostly shoot sports)
A D4 would be fantastic but at this point I cant justify the cost.
Which brings me to the D610, (or any other suggestions) My concern is how well it performs in low light or "crappy" light such as high school & college gymnasiums. Can I shoot at higher ISO (1600 & up) & still get clear,clean shots?
Will I see a big difference in a upgrade from D7000 to D610?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, & if you have any suggestions on other Nikon camera's, Please let me know.
Thank you,
Doug

ShootRaw

You will love the D610..Here is a candid shot using my D610 with 85mm @ 1.4 Indoors of a gymnasium..And one singling out my daughter at 1.4...First shot untitled-0108.jpg
untitled-0100.jpg

BackdoorArts

Your problem will have nothing to do with light and image quality - the D610 is a huge step about the D7000 there. Where you're going to lose out moving from the D7000 is the lack of reach with FX that you want/need with sports (I experienced the same thing with wildlife going from the D7000 to the D600). The D610 is a phenomenal camera, but I would caution you to think long and hard about whether or not you want to move to FX if you "mostly shoot sports". The D7100 is a small step up in some ways, a big step in others (IQ and low light), and a slight step back with the same sized buffer as you have on the D7000. Take a long hard look at the D7100 as well.

Fortkentdad

I can't speak directly to the step from d7000 as I stepped up from a d5100 to the D610 but I am enjoying this camera. I'm not an action/sports photographer so no comment on that. I can suggest you need to factor in the cost of FF lenses. The D610 will auto-crop to a DX setting so you can use current D7000 lenses. It will be the combination of your lens and camera that determines the outcome. Figure out which lens you need. (want vs need is another discussion and afford is a whole other matter).

AC016

Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has upgraded from a D7000/7100 to the D610.
I am planing on jumping into the full frame world, but, wasn't sure which direction I should go.
Why the D610? I probably would choose the D800 but the main reason that wont happen is 4 FPS. (I mostly shoot sports)
A D4 would be fantastic but at this point I cant justify the cost.
Which brings me to the D610, (or any other suggestions) My concern is how well it performs in low light or "crappy" light such as high school & college gymnasiums. Can I shoot at higher ISO (1600 & up) & still get clear,clean shots?
Will I see a big difference in a upgrade from D7000 to D610?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, & if you have any suggestions on other Nikon camera's, Please let me know.
Thank you,
Doug
look at this: Nikon D7100 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

They compare the 7100 to the 600 (same thing as 610) and the 600/610 beats the 7100. If you want a real low light monster, get the 610 over the 7100. Or, just wait for the next best thing to come out. It is sure to be just that much better. Chasing the dragon :p

Do you have any FX lenses? That would be the next investment you would have to make. Shooting in DX mode, in my opinion, is a bit of a waste.

Last edited:

DKline

Thanks, Although I do shoot mostly sports, You can sprinkle in weddings, portraits, & others as well.
I Primarily shoot Jui-Jitsu, wrestling & MMA. That being said, I am usually fairly close to my subjects that I am shooting. (not football where the distance will come into play)
My lenses include...AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G; AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G; Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM; Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM & a couple kit lenses.
As far as I know, these lenses will work with the 610 right?
So, with the lenses that I have, And knowing the types of sports that I shoot, Do you think the 610 is a worthwhile upgrade?

[h=1][/h]

singlerosa_RIP

I have the 7000 and a 600 and I can push the ISO on the 600 way higher than I could on the 7000. On the 7000, Auto ISO with a max of 1600 would be OK; on the 600, I can use 6400 and get as good, if not better results. As previously mentioned, you will give up reach, but so what...you can crop. I still use my 7000 for macro (better DOF) and sometimes with my 70-200 and 70-300.

AC016

Thanks, Although I do shoot mostly sports, You can sprinkle in weddings, portraits, & others as well.
I Primarily shoot Jui-Jitsu, wrestling & MMA. That being said, I am usually fairly close to my subjects that I am shooting. (not football where the distance will come into play)
My lenses include...AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G; AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G; Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM; Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM & a couple kit lenses.
So, with the lenses that I have, And knowing the types of sports that I shoot, Do you think the 610 is a worthwhile upgrade?

You have 3 full frame lenses as far as i can see: your 50 and your two Sigma DG lenses (DC lenses are for cropped-frame cameras or DX cameras in the Nikon world). So, it looks like you are off to a decent start :)

Fortkentdad

In my novice opinion I believe that the D610 will use your DX lenses as well if not better than your D7000. The reason it is a bit of a waste is not that they won't work, it is that DX lenses on a FF camera only utilize a portion of the potential of the FF camera. The D610's low light ability and fast fps capacity are not affected by the lens so you should be able to shoot your pictures as fast and in lower light with your DX lenses on a D610 than on your D7000 with no loss of picture quality. If you turn off the auto DX detection feature on your D610 you may be able to get a slightly larger than DX image with a bit of vignetting in the corners depending on the focal length.

Am I right on this - oh more knowledgeable Nikonites?

aroy

Your 35mm will work in crop mode, but the FOV of the 50mm is same as 35mm on DX, so you can easily substitute 50mm where you used 35mm. To get the same FOV as the 50mm get an 85mm. The 17-50 is also a DX while 24-70 is FX. No idea of the kit lenses. With increase in the FOV, your current FX lenses will seem to be "short" compared to DX sensor.

As you are shooting at close distances, you will get better coverage with the FX lenses. In fact one of the reasons to go for FX is that the wides will be wide. The D610 has much better low light performance, so for the same noise, you can up the ISO to give you faster shooting speed.