Focusing points not showing in viewfinder

grandpaw

All I can get to show up in my D600 viewfinder is a single focus point. I have tried the different mode with the same results. I do have AF point illumination set to AUTO and have also tried with it just in the ON position. I was wanting to try and use the NINE point continuous focus but cannot see the points in the viewfinder. I can see them displayed on the rear LCD screen when I press info and they WILL show up in the viewfinder if I press the AF M button on the front of the camera. If you can tell me what I need to do to correct this, it would make me a happy photographer.

I am leaving the house shortly so if I don't respond to a post for a few hours that is why.

Blade Canyon

It might not be possible. The manual suggests there will be one primary focus point for you to use, and the use of surrounding focus points is based on the mode you select. On page 99 of the manual, it says,

Auto-area AF: The camera automatically detects the subject and
selects the focus point. If a type G or D lens is used,
the camera can distinguish human subjects from the
background for improved subject detection. The active focus
points are highlighted briefly after the camera focuses; in AF-C
mode or when continuous-servo autofocus is selected in AF-A
mode, the main focus point remains highlighted after the
other focus points have turned off.

aroy

As far as I know, only one focus point is used for focusing. If you choose modes which have multiple points, they are activated only to determine which one will be used for the shot. AFter all you do not expect different points of the image to be in focus simultaneously, do you.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Jeff,

I had to get ahold of mine to see how it was behaving. If a single point focus is selected, you have to manually change it's position. It won't change position if the focus lock lever in the back is at the "on" position. This has fooled me before. Now when I select multiple focus points and try to focus, a few point light up and I can change the position if I use the multi selection on the back as well. I hope your camera acts like this otherwise, there might be something wrong with it. Remember to change focus settings you have to depress the button enclosed in the focus selector switch.

Hope this helps.

grandpaw

Thanks everyone for your help. I called Calagaz Camera shop where I bought the camera and also called Nikon support and both of them told me the points will not show up in the viewfinder. Thanks again for your help.