Camera lens compatability

zilla

I have a D5200 and want to purchase a 35mm lens. The lens I want is like $600. I also see there is a cheaper lens that is pretty much the same but without a few of the bells and whistles. The one I am looking at purchasing is the Nikon AF-S 35mm 1:1.8 G DX.

Will this DX lens work with my 5200?

fotojack

Of course it will. Your D5200 is a DX camera. :) And what bells and whistles do you possibly need on a 35mm lens?? That 35 1.8G lens is all you need! :)

For your model camera, all your lenses should be AF-S. They have the built in focusing motor in them. Your camera body does not have a built in focusing motor.

Last edited:

aroy

The AF-S DX 35mm F1.8G is $200. The FX version which is a newer design is $600. For your camera the DX version is good enough. It is smaller, lighter and cheaper.

nickt

$600??? Were you looking at the FX version? Both models would work, but the $200 model is fine for your camera.

zilla

Thanks for the replies. And yes I was looking a the FX version, but everything I read online says the cheaper DX version is a great lens and cheaper to boot. I just purchased my 5200 a few weeks ago and am not sure what goes with what. What I didn't find online was if it would work with my camera. I haven't sorted out the the Nikon terms quite yet, such as FX DX etc.. Thanks for the info I a going to order one today!

Last edited:

aroy

Thanks for the replies. And yes I was looking a the FX version, but everything I read online says the cheaper DX version is a great lens and cheaper to boot. I just purchased my 5200 a few weeks ago and am not sure what goes with what. What I didn't find online was if it would work with my camera. I haven't sorted out the the Nikon terms quite yet, such as FX DX etc.. Thanks for the info I a going to order one today!
Congratulations on your purchase.

Yes, the DX 35mm is a gem of lense. For the money you pay it cannot get better. The FX lense is a newer design and may be better over all, but then it is thrice as expensive.

1. All lenses FX or DX work on DX camera. Whether fully or partially depends on the body and the lense
. AF-S lense (with motor in the lense) will meter and AF in all digital cameras.
. AF and AF-D (without motor in the lense) lenses will meter with all cameras, but will not AF with the current 3xxx or 5xxx bodies.
. Manual focus AIS lenses will work only in Manual Mode - both AF and metering with the 3xxx and 5xxx bodies.
2. DX lense will either not work or will vignette on FF bodies.
3. Teleconverters from Nikon are tied to the lenses. What works with what is given in the Nikon site Compatibility Charts.

zilla

Thanks for the info. My head is now spinning with all the information overload. Good thing I retired a few months ago. I can see I have a LOT of reading and learning to do. And this all came about because I got interested in HDR ...

I ordered a DX from Amazon, just have to wait for deliver now. One of the inconveniences of living where I do

Last edited: