Please help - advice needed *offers cookies*

wendy84

Hi,

I don't really know anything about portrait photography - I did plan to learn about it in the future as I would like to get into it but here's why I need some help now: I currently volunteer in a Roma centre in Slovakia, I work with the kids there. Tomorrow they're having a day for the children and their mums. They asked me to take photos during the day and also to do some portraits.

They don't expect professional shots, but I do want to hand them some nice photos, maybe even get them printed out and hand them to the families. They're very poor so won't be able to pay for them but it would be nice for them to have a picture of themselves with their kid(s).

I currently only have 2 lenses, not the best ones for portrait but advice on which one to use would be great, any others tips would be very helpful as well. I have a Nikon D5300 + a AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm and a Tamron 70-300 vc/usd lens.

The pictures will be taken inside the centre - it can be a bit dark, this depends on the sunlight. Outside unfortunately won't be possible as then the whole village wants their picture taken (this happened last time haha).

There won't be anything professional at this shoot - just me, my camera and an old wall but any tips to make the photos nice would be awesome.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Cookies are on the table *points* =). Thanks! x

DraganDL

Use that 18-105mm and forget about 70-300mm. Get your batteries ready (I hope you've got a spare one or a grip)... Flash is a must (OK, the built-in will do). Use either auto (Auto, with a flash) or a "Portrait" mode. Red eye correction set to "on". Another way to go (if you want to be "more creative"): set dial to "A" (aperture priority) and use the largest available apertures (smallest numbers) when shooting individual portraits and somewhat smaller (greater numbers) whenever it's a group of people; AF to "face priority", flash unit ready. Picture settings (in menu) = jpg, fine, large. Consult your camera's manual...

Now, where are those cookies? Be informed that my ex-wife gave me a nick name of "Tortojed" (cake eater):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Besides opening up the lens to the largest available aperture, make sure the subjects are away from the wall (6 feet will do) to eliminate the shadows on the wall. If you can get a nicely blurred background without shadows that will look good. Also, don't be afraid to get close to your subject, they seldom bite. lol

kevy73

With the lens you have, you want to get as close to the subject as possible and have the wall as far behind them as reasonably possible. That way, you will have nice subject separation.

That said, if you are using the inbuilt flash, you don't want to get too close as that isn't pleasant.

Somersetscott

I'd Stick with the Nikkor and preset the following:Set the ISO to whatever you can get away with (for this I would trial your camera and lens at differing ISOs and post process the images and noise reduce and see what works for you and your post processing software :))Then pop into the Shooting menu → ISO Sensitivity Menu → Turn 'Auto ISO sensitivity control' on, set the 'Maximum sensitivity' at say 1600 ISO (or whatever works noise wise from above). Then set the 'minimum Shutter speed' to whatever you can get away with hand held, I'd recommend 1/125 or faster. Then shoot in A mode, setting your aperture (I'd go for minimum lens will let you) and ISO 100The theory being you choose the aperture and the camera ensures you don't shoot under a shutter speed so you don't get blurr and do not exceed a certain ISO so that the noise is horrific. The worst that can happen If the subject/scene is too dark it will go for minimum shutter you set and maximum ISO and come out under exposed, easily fixed in post processing. If you decide 'screw this' and pop the inbuilt flash up or use a speedlite (With i-TTL) these settings will still be fine - it'll speed up the shutter speed automatically and go to minimum ISO :) So you set the main goodies and it lets you worry more about posing the kids rather than camera settings. If the Auto ISO setting annoys you - it can be easily switched off Shooting menu → ISO Sensitivity Menu → Turn 'Auto ISO sensitivity control' offYou could test out the above on your pets, partner, family etc to see what works - I tend to terrorize my family this way to get settings right. Also depends what aged kids you're working with, if they are young they can be very lively, so faster shutter speeds. Safety shots for closed eyes ;) Flash - if needed, dependent on the kids ages again and if they are really young it scares/confuses them, makes them look a bit dazed if you need to take a second shot. If you already knew this, sorry! Best of luck! :) post some of your results? :) I'll avoid the cookies, I'm on a diet :(

Last edited:

wendy84

Thanks everyone!
I just got back from the centre and it went horrible. My fault entirely. And the light. I can blame the light right? ;). I've done shots of people at festivals and such before and that went fine but today, maybe the hayfever went to my head but I didn't even remember the fast shutter speeds. And I had to make some videos as well and I completely forgot. Oh my goodness. I will post some of the results later on - I need lunch first.

But! They all loved having their photo taken (well, most of them - one little boy looked like he's going to have nightmares of me tonight) so I will set up something better at the centre before my volunteer year ends. This way I can read up a bit on portrait photography, not forget the basics and figure out the best light and such =).

Maybe it's a good thing everything went wrong today - then next time I know what to think off and prepare myself and the centre better.

STM

How high are the ceilings and are they white? You could always bounce a flash off the ceiling for a more diffused and natural look. I would definitely go with the 18-105mm and go for the longer part of the zoom range. If you bounce the flash off the ceiling the need to stand off from the wall is greatly reduced if space is a limitation.