NIKON AF NIKKOR 50mm f1.8 G/D prime

gowge

Exactly what it says on the tin.... NIKON NIKKOR AF f1.8 D/G prime lens. I am new, working on a budget to build my way up. if anyone can recommend anything similar and as good, be my guest. primary use is to have a go with it to shoot skateboarding/snowboarding. I here it is quite the handy lens and decent reviews for what it is worth. Cheers, gowge

TedG954

The 50/1.8 is as "bargain" as it gets. Not only is it inexpensive, it's a super bang-for-the-buck lens. There's nothing else to recommend.

480sparky

Exactly what it says on the tin.... NIKON NIKKOR AF f1.8 D/G prime lens. .........

Tin?

The lens comes in a metal can?

Doesn't sound like a Nikkor lens then.

The AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens is a superb performer, and can be purchased used for less than $100 USD. The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens is a step up, but will cost more.

Last edited:

PaulPosition

But the D won't autofocus on the d3000 and d5000 series and isn't all that manual focus -friendly with only a few cm of travel on the focus ring (less than one accounts for 3m<>Infinity)...

I still love mine but it often forces me into live view so I can zoom in. :)

Blacktop

Tin?

The lens comes in a metal can?

Doesn't sound like a Nikkor lens then.

The AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens is a superb performer, and can be purchased used for less than $100 USD. The AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens is a step up, but will cost more.

No, that lens does not come in a metal can.

pedroj

"NIKON NIKKOR AF f1.8 D/G prime lens" It's either D or G lens,

The D series will not auto focus with the D3000 and D5000 series but the g will

gowge

"exactly what it says on the tin..." ... FIGURE OF EXPRESSION!! After doing a bit of asking about, it turns out im best getting a 35mm f1.8. anybody selling one? just due to the fact my camera (d3200) is a crop sensor. also, what is the major difference between AF and AF-S?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
"exactly what it says on the tin..." ... FIGURE OF EXPRESSION!! After doing a bit of asking about, it turns out im best getting a 35mm f1.8. anybody selling one? just due to the fact my camera (d3200) is a crop sensor. also, what is the major difference between AF and AF-S?

AF does not have an internal focusing motor so it would NOT auto-focus on your D3200. The AF-S will.

480sparky

AF-S, the S means Silent Wave Motor.... the lens will AF on any DSLR via the len's built-in focus motor. AF means no lens motor, so the body must have a focus motor or the lens will be manual focus.

Marko

I have both 35 and 50 lenses and I must say whilst both are superb I tend to find myself using the 35 as my go to lens of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk