Bracketing.

Tom Grove

I have read some tutorials and I followed the manual's instructions for setting up bracketing on my camera... I am getting 3 pictures, but the exposure of each one is identical! I am setting up the camera exposure for there to be a 2 stop/step difference between each picture. Besides that... in Photomatix I can change the exposure of the pictures for the amount I wish, but the pictures do not come out that great when they are merged... I do much better with a single picture converting it to HDR in Photomatix... Any ideas about what I might be missing?

Browncoat

I have read some tutorials and I followed the manual's instructions for setting up bracketing on my camera... I am getting 3 pictures, but the exposure of each one is identical! I am setting up the camera exposure for there to be a 2 stop/step difference between each picture.

You'd be better off by doing 1 stop increments and 5 exposures vs 3 exposures @ 2 stops. I'm not sure how to better clarify the instructions for setting this up with your camera. Are you sure you're doing exposure bracketing and not WB bracketing?

Besides that... in Photomatix I can change the exposure of the pictures for the amount I wish, but the pictures do not come out that great when they are merged... I do much better with a single picture converting it to HDR in Photomatix... Any ideas about what I might be missing?

The results you get from digitally changing exposure or doing HDR from a single image are usually going to be lackluster at best.

PaulPosition

My d5200 (dunno what camera the original poster has) will only bracket in three increments automatically.

I first need to go in the menu (not info screen) to set the type of bracketing I want (white balance, ADR, exposure) and only then I can turn it on and choose the step value with the info screen options.

Oh, and leave the finger on the shutter for continuous shooting if I'm handheld.

Tom Grove

You'd be better off by doing 1 stop increments and 5 exposures vs 3 exposures @ 2 stops. I'm not sure how to better clarify the instructions for setting this up with your camera. Are you sure you're doing exposure bracketing and not WB bracketing?

The results you get from digitally changing exposure or doing HDR from a single image are usually going to be lackluster at best.

It does a max 3 shots in bracketing... I realize 3 stacked pics are supposed to be better than 1 but that's why I mentioned how crappy I'm doing with bracketing... lol

Blacktop

I followed the manual's instructions for setting up bracketing on my camera... I am getting 3 pictures, but the exposure of each one is identical!

I am pretty sure that you're missing a step somewhere.
When I first got my D300 way back last week, I had a really hard time figuring this out,(especially without a manual).
Do a search on Youtube for 'setting up D7000 for bracketing) or something along those lines.
That's how I got my D300 to set up. I would have never figured it out on my own, especially setting it up so it would do it with one click.

Tom Grove

Here's a shot I ran through Photomatix... It's a single picture... not terrible I think... I don't have any of the ones I bracketed because they turned out so horrid! Regardless... I would like to do it correctly, so I will keep practicing!

DSC_0558_tonemapped_tonemapped.jpg

Tom Grove

I am pretty sure that you're missing a step somewhere.
When I first got my D300 way back last week, I had a really hard time figuring this out,(especially without a manual).
Do a search on Youtube for 'setting up D7000 for bracketing) or something along those lines.
That's how I got my D300 to set up. I would have never figured it out on my own, especially setting it up so it would do it with one click.

Ok... I'll have to give you tube a look when I get home from work!

Rick M

You either have something in auto mode or you're not bracketing for exposure. Put it in aperture mode and make sure the exposure is what's being bracketed. Not sure how the bracketing mode works on the D7000, but make sure it is set for + and-.

Tom Grove

You either have something in auto mode or you're not bracketing for exposure. Put it in aperture mode and make sure the exposure is what's being bracketed. Not sure how the bracketing mode works on the D7000, but make sure it is set for + and-.

I think I've been shooting in manual mode... I'll take your advice and try that.

Tom Grove

BTW... When I post a pic... please don't hesitate to give me pointers on how to make it better... I realize it's subjective, but I really am looking to improve... so any time you see a pic of mine... lemme have it!!!

nikabuz

Hi Tom,

Not sure what the problem is you're having with auto-bracketing, but here's how you set it up on the D7000:

Click on the menu button on the rear of the camera. Select custom settings. Select 'e' which is bracketing/flash.
Select 'e5' which is Auto Bracketing Set. Then select 'AE only'.

Then hold down the bracketing button which is directly below the button for the pop-up flash.
Whilst holding that button down rotate the front command dial & select the exposure value. I usually use 2 stops.
The whilst still holding the bracketing button down rotate the rear command dial to select the number of exposures.
I usually select 3F which is 3 shots. That's the max number you can do with auto-bracketing on a D7000.

To take more shots you need to do it manually by taking the camera out of bracketing & use the exposure compensation button just behind the shutter button.
You can dial in up to + or - 5EV (5 stops).
The auto-bracketing should work regardless of whether you use manual or aperture priority mode.

You can auto-bracket more than 3 shots by using a device called a Triggertrap.
Its an app for an iPhone or Android phone & you use it as a remote to control your camera via a dongle connector.
Pretty sweet!

As for HDR processing with Photomatix, I'm not a big fan!
If you use Lightroom there is a plug-in called LR/Enfuse that processes bracketed shots.
You have little control over settings, but I much prefer the results.
It won't give strong effects like Photomatix will though - produces a more natural & neutral blend that you can tweak.
So depends on the look you want.
It's pretty cheap too - a donationware app.
Check it out.

Hope that helps!

Ciao,
Vic.