Built-in 'light meter'

nononadanope

I did try to do a search on this but didn't have any luck. I'm trying to figure out if buying a light meter is worth it. I've been using the built-in one (the scale bar on the bottom when looking into the viewfinder, that changes. Usually should be in the center, in order to get a nice shot. If purchasing a light meter is a good idea; which one(s) would be worth looking into.

carguy

I use my Sekonic 308S when I use my off camera speedlights in a studio type setting.

Nice unit, $130 ish used and easy to operate.

ShootRaw

For outdoor no not really...Lightmeters have their place...Mainly for using 2 and 3 light set-ups in the studio..For lighting ratios etc..For outdoors I would not want one dictating my creativity..Hope this helps..

Steve B

Depends on what you shoot. For portrait work they are worth it since you can measure incident light instead of reflected light. For landscapes work they can still be useful but you will still be working with reflected light. From your signature it looks like you might specialize in automotive photography. For that it really is going to depend on if you are shooting in a controlled environment with a static subject or if you are shooting more "action" type pictures. Sekonic makes good meters and they are the only ones I have experience with, but there are other good brands.

nononadanope

For now, I'll just be doing non-action shots that will be taken outdoors. I've never had a light meter but I've seen others use one. Usually they were doing portraits though.

WayneF

Thanks for the link. From what I've read; they're best suited for indoor/studio setting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would assume that it may be a good idea to have one if you were to do a shoot at night (outdoors) though because you may be using a flash and lighting kits (tungsten, led, strobe, etc). Lighting is something I'm still learning about.

I'd agree in the studio, but don't think I can offer any definitive answer. There are details of course, but also some user preference involved in some cases.

Two very major aspects:

The camera meter cannot meter studio flash. The handheld meter typically can. If using one hot shoe TTL flash, the camera meter can handle it, but which is no help with any manual flash unit.

If we are dealing with ONE flash, we can easily use trial and error to tweak exposure in using the histogram and rear LCD image...

But if we are dealing with multiple flash units, then beyond simple exposure, we also need to set their levels relative to each other, which is lighting ratio... The histogram cannot help with that. It is generally very good to actually meter each light, to actually KNOW what we are doing. The handheld meter is generally NOT optional then.

The camera meter is a reflected meter, which confuses beginners, but for continuous light, we can and do learn how to correct for their idiosyncrasies. The handheld meter is typically an incident meter, generally more absolutely accurate, since it is independent of being affected by the subjects colors. However, the incident meter must meter from the subjects position, not the camera position.

I'm thinking if you plan to take a daylight picture of the scenic pasture field, the handheld meter can do it, and well, but it offers less advantage over the camera meter. Some will think handheld still has advantage, but truly, we can probably manage without it. I have learned how to compensate for a reflected camera meter, so I mostly only use my handheld meter for multiple studio flash, where I consider it mandatory.

Last edited:

nononadanope

I'd agree in the studio, but don't think I can offer any definitive answer. There are details of course, but also some user preference involved in some cases.

Two very major aspects:

The camera meter cannot meter studio flash. The handheld meter typically can. If using one hot shoe TTL flash, the camera meter can handle it, but which is no help with any manual flash unit.

If we are dealing with ONE flash, we can easily use trial and error to tweak exposure in using the histogram and rear LCD image...

But if we are dealing with multiple flash units, then beyond simple exposure, we also need to set their levels relative to each other, which is lighting ratio... The histogram cannot help with that. It is generally very good to actually meter each light, to actually KNOW what we are doing. The handheld meter is generally NOT optional then.

The camera meter is a reflected meter, which confuses beginners, but for continuous light, we can and do learn how to correct for their idiosyncrasies. The handheld meter is typically an incident meter, generally more absolutely accurate, since it is independent of being affected by the subjects colors. However, the incident meter must meter from the subjects position, not the camera position.

I'm thinking if you plan to take a daylight picture of the scenic pasture field, the handheld meter can do it, and well, but it offers less advantage over the camera meter. Some will think handheld still has advantage, but truly, we can probably manage without it. I have learned how to compensate for a reflected camera meter, so I mostly only use my handheld meter for multiple studio flash, where I consider it mandatory.

Thanks for that. I'll admit, I've been doing pretty fine just using the camera meter but wasn't certain about having a handheld meter. For now, I'll just keep using the camera meter because 1) I'm use to it. 2) I don't do studio shoots or anything of the sort. and 3) One less thing to carry around and worry about. When and if the time comes that I do a shoot using lighting, then I'll look into a handheld meter but for now, it seems rather doable without one.

WayneF

Thanks for that. I'll admit, I've been doing pretty fine just using the camera meter but wasn't certain about having a handheld meter. For now, I'll just keep using the camera meter because 1) I'm use to it. 2) I don't do studio shoots or anything of the sort. and 3) One less thing to carry around and worry about. When and if the time comes that I do a shoot using lighting, then I'll look into a handheld meter but for now, it seems rather doable without one.

That is my notion too. I do have a handheld meter, and could not be without it for manual studio flash... because there's no other way. But for other jobs, the camera meter does what it does very well too. It is very convenient, and waiting for some better specific reason for more seems very reasonable. :)