Got the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 Lens Today!

PaulWog

After much deliberation, I got the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 lens for $500 + taxes at a local store today.

At f4, the lens is much sharper than some reviews indicate, and the edge / sides of the frame are not as muddy as some reviews indicate. No issues with color rendition either (with any shot, I always use lightroom, so straight-out-of-the-shot perfect colors isn't a big thing).

My only gripe is that the focus isn't bang on with my D5200 under certain circumstances. floor test.jpg

Other than the 1:1 example above (on the left, phase detection... on the right, live view).

Below is an example of how darned sharp the lens can be, and it's sharp at further focus distances as well. This shot is at f7.1 and 10mm:
(note, I could show you a 10x resolution file and it would hold up just as sharp, file size/quality got reduced on upload)

DSC_0091.jpg

PaulWog

I will be taking this lens out tomorrow to give it a good first day of shooting. I have lots to learn about wide angle lenses, and here is where I start. :) Really glad my copy seems to have turned out well.

PaulWog

Would appreciate your review as i am eying this lens also.

Is that a springer spaniel? :)

I'll give a much fuller review tomorrow night or the day after that (granted this is my first and only ultra-wide). I've spent countless hours researching and deliberating, it came down to the Nikon 10-24, the Tokina 11-16, and this lens. Given the availability (I got to try it in store), the price, and the reviews, this one came out on top. I probably would've given the Tokina the first try in store if they had one in stock though (but I was unwilling to order it online). This was all based on a lot of research, reading through forums, countless hours that I should've been sleeping piecing together information.

Anyways, tomorrow or the day after I'll post up some more shots and give a better run-down of how I find the lens. I'll comment on various apertures, sharpness, and distortion. I'm not sure if I'll be able to comment on color rendition, which is a subject that I'm really not sure is even important after a RAW file is put into lightroom (I heard just a couple people rave about the "amazing color rendition" of the 10-24 Nikkor, and then I heard others say "they render similar colors, just different warmth tones").

Yep, that's my English Springer Spaniel. He's always the first test subject.

PaulWog

Oh, something interesting to mention: The box says "D5300 compatible". It's not a sticker, it's the box itself that the lens came in. Interesting. I guess Sigma still produces the f4-5.6 lens?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Great lens that you will enjoy using Paul, mine has been one of my favourites on my D5100. Just gone full frame though and I will be moving it on.

I had the same challenge after moving to FX. Based on my experience with this lens on my D300, I went with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM II. What did you do?

Lee532

I had the same challenge after moving to FX. Based on my experience with this lens on my D300, I went with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM II. What did you do?
Nothing as yet,it's a toss up between the Sigma you have or saying "what the heck, you only live once" and then splashing out on the Nikon 14-24!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Nothing as yet,it's a toss up between the Sigma you have or saying "what the heck, you only live once" and then splashing out on the Nikon 14-24!

I found someone that had bought new stock from a closing camera store and snabbed a new in box lens for around US$750. At that price the decision made itself.

Lee532

I found someone that had bought new stock from a closing camera store and snabbed a new in box lens for around US$750. At that price the decision made itself.
Wow, have they got anymore ;) looking at a mint 2nd hand for £1,000 compared to new at £1,400. Used Sigma around £400.