Houses in the sunset

nidding

Hello all of you.
This is the first time I have put up a photo for evaluation, but as I kinda like this one, I'm curious to hear what you guys think of it, and most importantly what you would have done differently :)
I pass by these houses quite often and have had the composition in mind for some time. But when I took the photo, and came home it was a pretty dull photo. A B/W conversion and some playing in Aftershot Pro and I now think I taken an alright photo. So tell me, why don't you agree? ;) - I'm here to learn and don't mind if you tell it to me straight.

ps. I postet the photo in my 365 some days ago, but have since made corrections to it.

DSC_5396_1 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

EXIF
Shutter: 1/60
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 200
Lens: AF-S 35mm f/1.8
Manual Exposure

wornish

Nice shot. I like the angles.

You have a little keystone distortion going on the first corner of the front building is tilting to the right and the back building to the left - can be fixed in Lightroom not sure about Aftershot Pro.
Also for my taste the shadows could be lifted a little to see more detail of the brickwork.

TedG954

I agree with Wornish. Sometimes distortion can actually add to the composition, but not in this case. With so many straight lines and perpendiculars, particularly so close to the edges of the photo, I belive the distortion should be eliminated.

14142227599_8f0b10eae8_o_DxOVP.jpg

Disclaimer: My personal opinion has absolutely no value when it comes to your creativity.

Last edited:

nidding

You are both absolutely right :) I don't know why, but I always forget to check and correct for this distortion. In a shot like this, it definitely should just be straight lines and angles.
Regarding the shadow, I think I'll fiddle a little more with it, but the reason I have set it like it is, is to darken the ambience of the shot. Maybe it can be maintained when giving the bricks a little more detail, I'll give it a try :)

And Ted, regarding your disclaimer, you are absolutely right. I think, however, that all creative efford is like speaking a certain language. As I'm not fluent in the language of photography yet, all comments helps me understand the language and will help me express exactly what I mean. So thanks for the comment :)

nidding

So. Tried to correct the distortion. This messed up my adjust layers, so I had to do a whole bunch of adjustments. Also, tried to put some details into the bricks. Couldn't really make this work, however, so I think these are more or less the same in that regard :)
DSC_5396_2 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr