Off Camera Flash

skellys

Hello,

I know this question has been asked several times before but I'm really not understanding. I have the D5200 and bought a Nikon Speedlight SB700 today and then when I was playing around with it I realized I can't use it off camera.

I've been googling all day how I can make it work and come across several suggestions but I don't understand any of them.

Could someone please tell me what I need to do to get the flash to work off camera? I've been reading about radio triggers but I don't understand it at all. I went to the store to ask and they gave me an electronic remote eye and told me to put it on the top of my camera but that makes no sense as when I put it on there's nothing actually connecting the two electronically.

I'd rather not use wires.

Thank you in advance!

WayneF

There are a few ways to trigger the SB-700 off camera. Two common ways are:

A radio trigger, which is a transmitter module on the camera hot shoe, and a receiver module on the flash foot. The trigger signal is sent via radio. Most all versions only do Manual flash mode. Some of these are fairly inexpensive, some cost substantially more.

Or, the SB-700 has an optical slave sensor built into it, called SU-4 mode. It will trigger (in manual flash mode) from seeing the flash of any other manual flash (so you need this other flash in your system too). This could be the camera internal flash in manual mode. This is a good method indoors, and all studio flash units include such an optical slave sensor. The radio trigger is favored outdoors, and it works indoors too.

I don't understand any remote eye you put on the camera. It sounds like it must be an optical slave, but these go on the flash foot instead. And the SB-700 already has a better one built in.

Other ways are a PC sync cable, but you would have to add PC connector accessories on both SB-700 and D5200, and it is not wireless.

And camera models with a Commander built in (D7000 and up today) can trigger the SB-700 that way, which is the only way that includes off camera TTL mode. A commander can be added to the D5200 hot shoe (for example, another SB-700 flash can be the commander)... but, the cameras without commander still don't have the FV Lock feature, which is sorely needed to prevent pictures of blinking subjects.

skellys

Thank you for the reponses!

For the radio trigger, are there any inexpensive but good quality brands that I should look for? I'm literally JUST starting to learn about flashes and feeling very overwhelmed. When using this trigger method, does the built in flash go off too and affect the photo?

The SU-800 is what I was thinking but is a bit pricey since I just bought the flash. Does that require my own built in flash going off to use it as well?

Thanks!

Fortkentdad

I discovered the same thing with my D5100. For the price of the SU-800 you can add another flash and have two flashes (two are better than one for sure - lots of creative lighting possiblities).

The SB-700 will become the master on your camera to many other flashes. I went with a Metz but there are many choices. Just do a little research and make sure your second flash will work as a slave using Nikons CLS (creative lighting system) some like the Metz I bought will also work as master and slave.
OR

I have not tried it but lots of people use the Chinese Yongnuo system. Costs less than $100. They now have a master commander. Theirs is a radio system and has advantages over the Nikon built in CLS which requires line of sight and has challenges used outside in sunlight (yes there are times you want to fire your flash outside in the bright sunlight).

Google YN-622N-TX and read the reviews. Less than $50 plus a receiver for each flash (YN622) at about $40 each. Their are bundle deals. I'm looking to get one but for now because I have two flashes that use the Nikon CLS system I'm good.

Steve B

The SU-800 is pricey but it gives you full commander mode capabilities including I-TTL and the ability to group your flashes. It really depends on how serious you want to get with flash photography.

Steve B

One other plus to the SU-800 is that it uses IR instead of visible light so you aren't forced to have a flash in a position you may not want one. Check out some of the stuff Joe McNally does with Nikon flashes.

Lee532

I can recommend the yongnou radio trigger system, I have two off camera speedlites with my D5100 using the yn-622-n triggers which allow I-TTL and grouping of flashes. The yn-622n-tx transmitter makes adjustments of the off camera flashes very easy as well.

carguy

Thank you for the reponses!

For the radio trigger, are there any inexpensive but good quality brands that I should look for? I'm literally JUST starting to learn about flashes and feeling very overwhelmed. When using this trigger method, does the built in flash go off too and affect the photo?

The SU-800 is what I was thinking but is a bit pricey since I just bought the flash. Does that require my own built in flash going off to use it as well?

Thanks!

If you want to get started to experiment with off camera flash using remote triggers, but this setup. Only $21 for one trigger and two slaves/receivers.

Amazon.com : Neewer Wireless Remote FM Radio Flash Speedlite Trigger w/ 2.5mm PC 2 Receiver : Camera Flash Synch Cords : Camera & Photo

Neewer/Cowboy Studio/StudioHut/Cheaplights. Same units. I have two sets of these I used for a while before I moved up to another brand.

Can't go wrong to learn :)