Eskimo Kick Ball

Joseph Bautsch

If you have ever wondered what the Alaskan Eskimos do during the winter, it's Eskimo indoor kick ball. A sport you don't see very often. The ball is suspended in the air over your head and you have to come up off the ground and kick the ball with your feet. There are two starting positions, sitting down and standing up. The first two shots are of the women's and men's national champions kicking from a sitting position. The last two is an example of kicking the ball from the standing position and yes you have to kick it with both feet. These were shot in a large auditorium and I walked in as the demonstration was ongoing. All I had was the built-in flash and shooting at ISO 1250 on a D80 does not give very good results. I think I would have found something else to do during the winter. EXIF data: Nikon D90, 18-55mm Nikkor, ISO 1250, Focal Length 55mm, f/5.6, Shutter Speed 1/160, WB Flash, Adobe RGB, Except for cropping there is no post processing.

View attachment 2030

View attachment 2028

View attachment 2029

View attachment 2027

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

Here's the same four shots with the exposure adjusted. The ones in the original post are a little too dark.

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0423.jpg