DPI for poster size print of b

oldhippy

DPI is 240 size 1184x1294 Jpg. Here's my quandary, Walmart say the pic is low res for an 11x14 poster.
I really want the detail to show. I know that this crop left the values I listed. Should I expect the detail to match what I see on my monitor at that size. Am I ordering wrong. Do I need another outlet to print this.
maybe my order skills are wrong. If you guys aren't to busy, some help appreciated. Thanks Ed.

PaulPosition

1184/11=107 dots per inch, not 240

DPI is really misunderstood, it isn't a proper value but instead it's the ratio of pixel-count / expected print size.

Eyelight

DPI probably refers to the printing process and not the pixel resolution, but who knows.

However, looking at Walmart's website, they list the minimum pixel dimensions for a 11x14 as 980 x 770. Going by that, your image size should be OK.

Recommended Photo Resolution - Photo Center Help - Walmart

It will also depend on how the print is displayed. Any image appears sharper with a little distance and softer as the eye gets closer. Unless your eyesight is like mine, in which case any distance is a little soft.

Blacktop

WalMart is CRAP. Here, I said it. They don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
Stay away unless you need scotch tape or notebooks.

Look up Nations Photo on the interwebs, and don't look back.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I've used Walmart to print 20"x30" posters, but I take my file on a flash drive then transfer it to their computer. I specifically size it in Photoshop using inches (20x30) and make sure the file is 300dpi. I don't care if posters are supposed to be printed at 240dpi. My money. My file. My specifications. I've never had a problem, and I've printed around 8 posters there so far. I've had posters that are a total of 20MB and transferred them to Walmart's computer without any problem. It's possible that Walmart resizes the poster files to 240dpi, but mine always look fine. No complaints here.

ShootRaw

Why not just export to 300 PPI and go through Snapfish?...That can be linked through your Flickr....

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
oldhippy, are you uploading a file to Walmart's web site via your computer? Once when I wanted to make a couple of photo blankets. I kept receiving a prompt that my files were too small even though I scanned the images as TIFF. They were HUGE files and were sized specifically to meet Walmart's guidelines. Even though they matched or exceeded what Walmart requested, I kept getting a prompt that the files were too small. I had them printed anyway, and they were fine (I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the material used for the blanket because it reminded me of very heavy felt rather than a microfiber blanket as was advertised, but they printed without any problems).

oldhippy

WalMart is CRAP. Here, I said it. They don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Placed my first order with Photo Nation. Site looks great. Thanks again Ed

oldhippy

Got my prints today. 3 day turnaround at cheapest ship rate. The shots were fantastic. 10 steps over wally world. Thanks again. Ed