Compact case for a D3100 and 300mm lens?

jackermacer

Hello, everyone
I'm looking for compact case to fit my d3100 w/18-55 and 55-300. I'm looking for something to be as close as possible to fit only that. I do a lot of long backpacking and I need to minimize what I carry. Wondering if anyone has this combination and what they use? It is so difficult to gauge on line without seeing the case.
Thanks

jackermacer

Are you looking for a fannypack style, or slingbag, or backpack?
Anything that would minimize the size of what i have to carry. I like the idea of a slingbag, but it doesn't matter as long as it is compact. Everything I see is either huge with many compartments or too small to accommodate an extra lens.

PavementPilot

I purchased the Lowepro AW202 Slingbag a few months ago. I like it, but it is 2/3 the size of a normal backpack. It has room for my 18-55 or 55-300 mounted on my D3100 body, and room for the other lens in a storage area. In total there is 4 compartments in the main as well as the main part for the camera and lens. There is a nice top section for filters or what have you.

Rick M

For hiking I use a form fitting camera case for the D3100 and 18-55 attached. I carry the 55-200 in a Tamrac lens case which has a belt loop. The lens case has a velco and snap closure for wearing on a belt or attached to another backpack (I also have the small Tamrac backpack which it can attach to). The form fitting camera case utilizes your camera's strap for carrying over the shoulder and has a velco closure which opens quickly for shooting. The case dangles from your strap while you shoot or you can remove it entirely.

2043.JPG

Rick M

The lens cases are very convenient, I have the large and medium sizes, you can also fit 2 small lenses in the large. I really like the form fitting cases, if my camera is not in it's backpack I have it in the form fitting case. It's only light protection, but better than getting knocked around in a crowd or in the woods. I even use it while in the house, a kid with a cup of soda can do allot of damage!

JoeLewisPhotography

jackermacer

For hiking I use a form fitting camera case for the D3100 and 18-55 attached. I carry the 55-200 in a Tamrac lens case which has a belt loop.

View attachment 2022

Thanks everyone, but I'm looking for something minimalist. Something to just carry my d3100 w/ 18-55 and my 55-300. Looks like the form fitting and the separate lens case might be my best option. I just would like one case to fit both.

JohnFrench

Joseph Bautsch

I use a Tamrac 5501. It will carry my D90 with a 18-105mm attached plus a 70-300mm. The front pocket will carry a couple of batteries plus cards. A pocket on the inside top flap will carry a couple of filters. It's a close snug fit for everything and is small and light, $39.95 on Amazon.

momsquam

The bag I have is like the lowpro 202, from amazon, but its less expensive. I've had it for about a year and have not had issue with quality. its a sling bag. I have a 200mm lens but there would be room for the 300. I don't know if your looking for something in addition to your back pack, or something for your camera and a few other things. I use it like a day pack. this has enough room for camera extra lens and filters. Then I have enough room for wallet, keys, sunglasses and clip water bottle on.
Cuscus
Photo Digital Camera Sling Shoulder Backpack Bag 3 Lenses Adjustable Divider C1000