Compositional Methods

zutty

Here is my latest effort. I also wanted to ask:
I have been going out on shoots and am taking a really high amount of shots. I use bracketing in 2 or 3 shot bursts because I am still learning my exposure and compositional techniques and figured it couldn't hurt. But I am winding up taking 3-400 shots at a time. Is this not a good way to proceed?
Out of all those shots, I wind up with 5 or 6 decent ones that I like. Also what is the best format and size to post photos on the forum? I always shoot in RAW.
Thanks all, Oh..I promise to be more patient receiving criticism. I just get frustrated....grin.

Attachments

• 7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD5a.jpg
    7100 Bug Light 24-70 #1 HD5a.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 180

Geoffc

Here is my latest effort. I also wanted to ask:
I have been going out on shoots and am taking a really high amount of shots. I use bracketing in 2 or 3 shot bursts because I am still learning my exposure and compositional techniques and figured it couldn't hurt. But I am winding up taking 3-400 shots at a time. Is this not a good way to proceed?
Out of all those shots, I wind up with 5 or 6 decent ones that I like. Also what is the best format and size to post photos on the forum? I always shoot in RAW.
Thanks all, Oh..I promise to be more patient receiving criticism. I just get frustrated....grin.

As I said in another post, slow down. Also the D800 has such a big dynamic range that I very rarely see the need to bracket. If you take an ok exposed shot you can adjust the shadows mid tones and highlights a huge amount in Lightroom or other editing software. Try it, you'll be amazed.

I tend to keep 5-10% of my shots! but never shoot 400 on a normal day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

zutty

Geoff,
I hear what you're saying. BTW...I also have a D7100 which is what I used in this photo, but I see how your advice pertains to that camera as well and I will refrain from bracketing for a while. Thanks so much!

FastGlass

Sounds like you just take allot of pictures in hopes of getting something good. While some people may not see anything wrong with that your not learning anything by doing so.
Like Geoffc said slow down and pay attention to what your doing.

ShootRaw

For LR5..Set your export preset for Jpeg, Colorspace set to Adobe 1998, and pixels set to 2400 on the long side, and 90 for quality....

Moab Man

Bracketing has a purpose, and when you get enough experience you will know when to use it. Right now I would suggest slowing down and trying to plan your shot, think about what you need to do to get the vision in your head, and then put it together. However, when starting out you always take a lot more photos than you will down the road once you have the experience.

Good to see your eagerness to learn.

Browncoat

Spray and pray is rarely a good method, unless you're trying to capture fast action sports. Looking at the GAS list in your signature and tendency to be impatient, I'd venture a guess that you've gotten a bit ahead of yourself. As others have already said:

SLOW DOWN

This isn't a race. Very little in photography is about instant gratification.

I also agree. Bracketing on a D800 is almost useless in most circumstances; (seriously, who uses the semicolon anymore?) the dynamic range on this camera is incredible.

Practice on still life, that's the best advice I can give you right now. Go to the flower shop and buy an arrangement, set it up, and take photos of as many angles and compositions as you can. Think about your shots. Come up with something interesting (not just bird's eye shots). Process in color and B&W. You'll be surprised at how effective this exercise is.

Good luck! :cool:

zutty

OK...I did all the settings you instructed...and it looks like this:

Attachments

• Bug 24-70 #1_145.jpg
    Bug 24-70 #1_145.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 110

zutty

Spray and pray is rarely a good method, unless you're trying to capture fast action sports. Looking at the GAS list in your signature and tendency to be impatient, I'd venture a guess that you've gotten a bit ahead of yourself. As others have already said:

SLOW DOWN

This isn't a race. Very little in photography is about instant gratification.

I also agree. Bracketing on a D800 is almost useless in most circumstances; (seriously, who uses the semicolon anymore?) the dynamic range on this camera is incredible.

Practice on still life, that's the best advice I can give you right now. Go to the flower shop and buy an arrangement, set it up, and take photos of as many angles and compositions as you can. Think about your shots. Come up with something interesting (not just bird's eye shots). Process in color and B&W. You'll be surprised at how effective this exercise is.

Good luck! :cool:
Good advice..Thank you. I guess my speed up attitude is partly due to my health issues which will worsen, so I feel like I don't have a lot of time.