Jumpstarting Your Creativity

ohkphoto

Snow White
This blog post really hit home with me. After staying on the 365 challenge for 70+ days, I'm realizing that my best photos are the ones where I approached the task from a "photo assignment" standpoint, as opposed to doing a simple "walkabout" with my camera.

Photo Assignments

Joseph Bautsch

Helene, I have to agree with you. I never do "walkabouts" with my camera. For me it only produces average to good photos and very rarely anything great. I do a lot better if I get a photo in my mind and then try to get it in the camera. Right now I'm developing a list of locations around Atlanta to visit and see if I can get shots of the skyline and the massive building architecture. A lot of planning before I even pick up the camera.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Right now I'm developing a list of locations around Atlanta to visit and see if I can get shots of the skyline and the massive building architecture. A lot of planning before I even pick up the camera.

Wow, sounds like a great project, Joseph! All your good planning definitely shows in your photos.

nacg8or

I need to start doing this because I feel like I can't think out of the box when it comes to subject material and I know there is no lack of it here.

Ruidoso Bill

I do think when I go out with the shot I want in mind, I have better focus (no pun intended)...

Thanks Helene for the read.

Last edited:

theregsy

I have to combine the 2, I usually shoot live music festivals so there is an amount of planning to the who is doing what, were and when and what can I get from it, indoor stages, outdoor daylight, evening night shooting there is a wide variety to pick from and ideas to be generated. But because you are at an event where things happen all the time you have to be in walkaround mode as well, looking for fancy dress, mud surfing (hopefully less of that this year, I'm still damp I think) to that something that is happening as you dash from one stage to the next. There are some great ideas though in your post Helene and it should maybe hep me structure what I am after in the planned bits and have a little more space or time for hunting the unplanned bits.
A good read adn thanks for sharing :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
I have to combine the 2, I usually shoot live music festivals so there is an amount of planning to the who is doing what

I think this is well said, theregsy. Planning is good. but I think you always have to be ready for the unexpected, and be open to letting a planned shot evolve into something "better" or different, or more in line with your vision.

johnwartjr

I like to take my tripod with me whenever I can. I find that going out somewhere with a shot in mind, and then taking the time to visualize it, set up the tripod, etc, helps me get a better image.

Spray and pray might create a small # of decent shots on a memory card, and occasionally, we all get that great photo that we just captured out of luck, but thought and planning helps produce better results!

Curt

What I did was put a book together on old homesteads, old from houses & barns that were about to fall down and be gone forever. I had seen these old places many time in my travels around my area. Then I got this idea, hey go on a trip and take pics. of all these old buildings and put them in a book. It was very interesting & exciting to do.
Here are a couple of pics. cover and inside. DSC_0349.JPG
DSC_0350.JPG

Curt

Thank you, it was something I had planed on doing for a long time...lol.
Both my parents come from a farm life, I always thought it would be great to get these old farm houses & barns on film before they are gone forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

theregsy

There is another solution if you are loosing that spark, go and shoot something you love, whatever your interests are, head to your favourite location, event or subject. Relax, remember why it is special to you. Photography is a mixture of technology and imagination, its sometimes hard to combine the two, you get mixed up in the whole "how do I take this shot" and forget about getting the feeling for whatever you are shooting. I may sound like an old hippy (no offence to any old hippies out there) but I try to capture the atmosphere, feel or soul of an event, when I am shooting landscapes I want to feel comfortable in that surrounding and not someone looking for a picture. I am struggling to put it in to words, but if you are there and you love being there the shots will come. I may sound a little odd (nothing new there) but if you go looking for that shot, or feel you must get THAT shot I find that the pressure of finding that perfect moment to shoot can interfere with the creative artistic side of photography, take a step back, take a deep breath, look around, pretend that you aren't a photographer and lookaround for things that look interesting to you, then switch into photographer mode and take the photo of what has caught your attention.

Too often I see people wandering about chimping or with their camera almost constantly glued to their eye, especially videographers, they miss so much because they are looking through a small segment of what is happening all around. I think, again a purely personal slant, you want to feel part of whatever you are shooting not be outside looking in.

Thats enough waffle ;)

Last edited:

Curt

What a great and fun self-assignment! Looks like you got some really good shots!

Thanks guys :). I have put together a few books based on different themes, great keepsakes and a good way to show off your work to others. I try and set these kind of goals as often as I can. I am putting another book together very soon on sports cars, just a few more finishing touches to go.

Curt

Here is a peek at the book I am putting together a beautiful cars. I just carried my camera around last summer and took pics. of beautiful cars I happened to see. I have always been a big car lover, so I though putting a book together on the subject was a great idea :). Here is the cover and a peek inside.DSC_0401.JPG
DSC_0402.JPG