Questions - flash / tripod

bmilcs

Hey fellas,

I'm now a month or two into my DSLR photography journey.

I've acquired the following:

- Nikon D7000
- Nikon 35mm 1.8G
- Nikon 60mm 2.8D
- Nikon 70-300 VR II
- CANON* Camera bag - my girlfriend bought me it ;X
- Tabletop Tripod
- Lightroom 5
- Photoshop CS6
- HDRSOFT Photomatix

I am now interested in picking up a real flash - one that I can change the direction of, to bounce off the walls and ceilings and diffuse. It seems like the SB-700 is the way to go in this regards. I don't need/want a massive flash that'll severely weigh down my camera and add unnecessary bulk to it.

Tripods? This is where I need help. I really don't want to spend more than $100-$150 max, and I want it to be rock steady, with a solid ability to change angles in very tiny increments for macro / product photography such as SOTD and e-Bay. I will also be bringing it outdoors and travel to capture HDR.

What do you guys suggest to get with my D7000?

rocketman122

Hey fellas,

I'm now a month or two into my DSLR photography journey.

I've acquired the following:

- Nikon D7000
- Nikon 35mm 1.8G
- Nikon 60mm 2.8D
- Nikon 70-300 VR II
- CANON* Camera bag - my girlfriend bought me it ;X
- Tabletop Tripod
- Lightroom 5
- Photoshop CS6
- HDRSOFT Photomatix

I am now interested in picking up a real flash - one that I can change the direction of, to bounce off the walls and ceilings and diffuse. It seems like the SB-700 is the way to go in this regards. I don't need/want a massive flash that'll severely weigh down my camera and add unnecessary bulk to it.

Tripods? This is where I need help. I really don't want to spend more than $100-$150 max, and I want it to be rock steady, with a solid ability to change angles in very tiny increments for macro / product photography such as SOTD and e-Bay. I will also be bringing it outdoors and travel to capture HDR.

What do you guys suggest to get with my D7000?

congrats on your new entry into photography.

"real" flash? hahaha...what does that mean?
well I guess I can vouch for flashes and quality.

werwe.jpgIMG_3208_zpsf878e974.jpg

I have the Sb700 2xSb800 and Sb900. Sb700 (nicely sized and exactly the same as an SB800) is very fast to recycle. Sb900/910 more powerful. I also have 2 yongnuo flashes. the flagship 568 (imo soon to be replaced) and the manual flash only 560III.

for the regular person who doesnt need a really heavy duty workhorse flash, the 565/568 are great. the 565 does ttl/ttl-bl/m and the 568 does that as well as High speed sync. above xsync speeds. very strong and very fast to recycle. the metz is crap. decent build. crap navigation, SLOW to recycle.

for me, I found out, I prefer the nikon. and Im a strong supporter for 3rd party grips/batteries/flashes/lenses. but for the pro, u need to buy the (overpriced) nikon flash.

if you have the money, the Sb700 is great. personally, save it and invest in getting a normal zoom. like the nikon 17-55 2.8 (used today are very cheap!) or even the (yes, limiting, but amazing!!) sigma 18-35 1.8. I would even say, sell your nikon 35mm 1.8 because the sigma can do it better. no joke.

bmilcs

congrats on your new entry into photography.

"real" flash? hahaha...what does that mean?
well I guess I can vouch for flashes and quality.

I have the Sb700 2xSb800 and Sb900. Sb700 (nicely sized and exactly the same as an SB800) is very fast to recycle. Sb900/910 more powerful. I also have 2 yongnuo flashes. the flagship 568 (imo soon to be replaced) and the manual flash only 560III.

for the regular person who doesnt need a really heavy duty workhorse flash, the 565/568 are great. the 565 does ttl/ttl-bl/m and the 568 does that as well as High speed sync. above xsync speeds. very strong and very fast to recycle. the metz is crap. decent build. crap navigation, SLOW to recycle.

for me, I found out, I prefer the nikon. and Im a strong supporter for 3rd party grips/batteries/flashes/lenses. but for the pro, u need to buy the (overpriced) nikon flash.

if you have the money, the Sb700 is great. personally, save it and invest in getting a normal zoom. like the nikon 17-55 2.8 (used today are very cheap!) or even the (yes, limiting, but amazing!!) sigma 18-35 1.8. I would even say, sell your nikon 35mm 1.8 because the sigma can do it better. no joke.

That lens seems awesome. I did a quick search in the reviews and many report autofocus issues. At this point, I have to say my favorite piece of glass overall and keep it on my camera 80% of the time is the 35mm. f1.8 is just too good, and on a DX, a nice perspective. I don't know but zoom lenses don't really interest me unless the IQ is superior to the primes I have.

I really want a battery grip too and don't want to spend too much. What do you recommend paired with the D7000?

bmilcs

Everyone will have an opinion on how best to spend your money for these two bits of essential kit but here's my take...

Flash: The Yongnuo 565EX II. Lots of power, lots of features, costs a fraction of what the Nikon equivalent would set you back.

Tripod: The Manfrotto 055XPROB. A lot of tripod for not a lot of scratch. You'll need to purchase a separate ball head to complete the set. The Manfrotto 494RC2 is a popular choice but there are less expensive options.

That Manfrotto looks beautiful but my funds are so limited! Ahh. I'm going to have to sell some of my more expensive shaving related items --- as I collect high end wet shaving gear.

How often do you guys use Flash? I obviously don't use the on-camera flash much but I have a feeling a nice one would definitely get used with a diffuser.

Horoscope Fish

That Manfrotto looks beautiful but my funds are so limited! Ahh. I'm going to have to sell some of my more expensive shaving related items --- as I collect high end wet shaving gear.

How often do you guys use Flash? I obviously don't use the on-camera flash much but I have a feeling a nice one would definitely get used with a diffuser.

Gah... Deleted my own post trying to do an edit... It's been One of Those Days and it's still early out here.

I use a diffuser every time I use a flash. If I can't bounce the flash off the ceiling or a wall, I press on one of these Omnibounce diffusers. They're cheap and they get the job done.

John P

I use Yongnuo flashes, and they have never let me down.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a review that I wrote a couple years ago. I have been using this tripod almost daily. It performs just as well as when new. My last tripod was a Manfrotto, and this tripod has worked every bit as well, and comes with the best ball head I have used. I really like the pistol grip ball head.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see posts looking for less expensive tripods quite a bit.
Just over a year ago I had quite a bit of my camera gear stolen. My manfrotto tripod included.
My kids (three teenagers) purchased this tripod for me for my birthday. It was the best they could afford, and just wanted to cheer me up.
So I thought I would give you my experience with this less expensive tripod so far.

I used to be guilty of having the mindset that you get what you pay for in tripods. But with the Ravelli you get quite a bit for your money.
Mine has seen HARD use daily for just over a year. And is very much up to the task.

The legs are all aluminum. Even the flip locks for the legs are metal. The plastic feet are articulating, for use on uneven ground. The articulating feet unsnap to reveal integrated spikes for outdoor shooting. I really like the fact that the spikes are part of the legs, and not sold as an extra. These legs are every bit as sturdy as my old manfrotto 3021 set. And all connections are adjustable using the included allen wrenches. I have not had to make any adjustments on mine yet.

The Ravelli also comes with a ball head. Here again this cheap tripod shines. The only plastic on the entire head, is the levels. This head holds my D90 and 70-200 2.8 lens rock solid with no creep whatsoever. It pans very smoothly also. The other nice thing about this head. Is an allen head adjustment screw to take up slop in the ball joint over time. But as stated earlier. Mine has seen hard use daily for over a year. And no adjustments needed yet. But it is there when I need it. Ravelli also includes TWO quick release plates. Which is very nice, since I carry an extra body. Instead of switching lenses.

A year ago I would not have given a tripod like this a second look. But now realize that spending more for a tripod would have been a real waste of money.
It has met my needs very well. And shows no sign of letting me down. From what I have seen so far. This tripod set is the best bang for the buck that I have seen.

Here is a link to check it out.
Amazon.com: Ravelli APGL4 New Professional 70" Tripod with Adjustable Pistol Grip Head and Heavy Duty Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

Read more: Ravelli APGL4 tripod review

Read more: http://nikonites.com/other-photography-equipment/22898-tripod-4.html#ixzz331hNdhnV

carguy

SB-700 is a solid performer. The one drawback is the lack of a sync port for wireless triggers/receivers.
Looks like other flash opionions hit it on the head as well.

Browncoat

There are other remote options for the SB-700, but it really won't do much good. That flash doesn't really have enough ass to be used off-camera anyway.

carguy

There are other remote options for the SB-700, but it really won't do much good. That flash doesn't really have enough ass to be used off-camera anyway.
What makes you say that? My SB700, SB24s and cheapo speedlights work just fine behind umbrellas :)

I use the PC to Flash Hotshoe Adapter to link it to my pocketwizards

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Is there a really good off-brand battery grip for the D7000?
I'm definitely not one to scream "Genuine Nikon Parts" generally speaking but this time, based on my experience, I'm going to suggest you save your pennies and suck up the cost of the real deal, the Nikon MB-D11. However, if you're determined to take the Left Hand Path then I can tell you the Pixel Vertax MD-11 model, at about $100, is very good but still no genuine article, IMO. I had this model for some time before returning it and getting an OEM Nikon version.

The Neewer Version has a lot of very good reviews, however, and is about half the price of the Pixel Vertax.

BackdoorArts

Save money on the flash and put it towards the tripod budget. I've been using a pair of Yongnuo YN468's for 6 months and they work great. I can buy the pair and still have your tripod budget left while you're buying the SB-700. If you only need one, pony up for the 565.

For tripods, I have 2 go-to ones, the Manfrotto that Horoscope Fish mentioned (I have a different head) and a MeFOTO Roadtrip. The latter is not quite as rock-solid as the Manfrotto, but it only takes up 1/2 the space and weight.

bmilcs

Yikes. One thing at a time I guess :). I do need a tripod - the tabletop one is just too restrictive, but I really don't think I need a $200+ one for how much it'll be used.

I like to shoot handheld and like it that way but would be nice for my ebay product shots and random pics. If you guys had to settle for one under $150, what would it be? (including the head)

Browncoat

What makes you say that? My SB700, SB24s and cheapo speedlights work just fine behind umbrellas :)

What makes me say that? The SB-700 just fills a price gap in Nikon's flash lineup. As far as features and power go, most people would be better off either a step up or down the line. The 700 is kind of a red headed stepchild.

For less money, there are several manual flash units available that are far better.

rocketman122

who said? it can be used as an off camera flash without any issue. Ive used every single flash ive had as a manual off camera fill flash or bounced through an umbrella and its fabulous. very strong and very fast.

I use the PC to Flash Hotshoe Adapter to link it to my pocketwizards

Exactly. had no issue using my Sb700 for family formals at weddings. very fast recycling. I think faster then any I have. I use 622n slaves and I also have commlite G430 which are $24 measly bucks and are the best for the price hands down. I dont care for sync cables because the slaves I use have a hot show the flash sit in. you have PW so you have the difficulty.

Is there a really good off-brand battery grip for the D7000?

1? theres so many. just search amazon. meike, phottix, whatever. so much. so cheap great savings, works great. get some extra batteries while youre at it. look for "decoded"

What makes me say that? The SB-700 just fills a price gap in Nikon's flash lineup. As far as features and power go, most people would be better off either a step up or down the line. The 700 is kind of a red headed stepchild.

For less money, there are several manual flash units available that are far better.

yes I agree. for an ONLY manual off camera flash sure. why spend $350 when a $75(shipped) 560III can do that very well. but an off camera and ttl flash, the SB700 is great.

for OP, save your money, get either of these

Yongnuo YN-565EX Wireless TTL Flash for Nikon | ThePhotoGadget.com

Yongnuo YN568EX FP Sync Up To 1/8000s Flash For Nikon | ThePhotoGadget.com

rocketman122

btw, take a look at benro for tripod and heads. good quality and for the price cant be beat. if I didnt have my current tripod, Id buy them. I dont use a tripod often. not necessary with FF for me.

snaphappy

When looking for a tripod I'll tell you what I was told when asking the same question last year. Do not cheap out. You may not use it that often but when you do use it you want your camera and everything held safely. Consider the camera, your lens and maybe even your new flash on your tripod you do not want your gear sitting on a cheap flimsy tripod. I cheaped out by waiting and buying used but then because I like to take photos of the night skies I bought a new ballhead for it. If it's going to hold your gear you want it sturdy and strong enough to hold your heaviest gear so check what each tripod is meant to safely hold.
I only have an sb-700 but I'm happy with it

Browncoat

There's only one way to go with a flash IMHO: LumoPro LP180.

It's a manual flash, so no TTL. It's also the best damn speedlight on the market. Best of all, it's $200. It's the flash that many top names in the industry use, and it's build quality is second to none. I have two of the previous version (LP160), and they're great. Why do I have two? The first one was submerged in a foot of water and I thought it was ruined, so I bought another one. Guess what? That was 3 years ago, and after it dried out, that flash still purrs like a kitten. I've also seen one get run over by a car and still work.

Try that with those Yin-Yang-Yong flashes. Ain't gonna happen.

I can't in good faith recommend a "rock solid" setup on that budget. A good tripod head will cost you that much.

Last edited: