Nikon F80/N80.....worth purchasing???

Elliot87

Hi folks,

Having just taken up photography as a hobby in the past few weeks, I've spent a lot of time talking to my wife about it and she's shown real interest in it too. Ideally she could use my D3200 to learn with and she probably will but if I'm being honest when she's using it, I get frustrated that I'm not and want it back ASAP.
Another solution would be to have a camera of her own but another new DSLR is not affordable, especially when I want to invest in good quality glass. However she has stated that she misses film cameras, so a film SLR seemed like a good option. The only thing is the one thing I know less about than DSLR's is film SLR's.

Right, getting to the point of this thread.
Firstly is the F80 a good film SLR for a beginner to learn with and what sort of quality of image does it produce?

Also would it make a good companion (for want of a better word) for my D3200? I understand that it is a FX camera rather than DX but other than that I believe it is fully compatable with my existing AF-S lenses. However, I've read elsewhere that it will not meter through AF-S glass.

The reason I'm specifically looking at the F80 is that my local camera shop has one for sale for £59. It comes with a 28-80mm lens (no more details on the website) + an mb-16 battery grip (I'm not sure what that is). This seems like a good price to me, as a used body only F80 is £49.50 on amazon but I could be wrong?

Basically any information or advice regarding this lens is welcome, as well as suggestions of better alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Elliot

John P

The F80-N80 is a great camera. I still use mine a few times a week.
As far as image quality. It is completely dependant on your lens choice, and film choice.
The 28-80 was the kit lens for this camera. It should be very sufficient for a hobbyist.
My experience with this camera has been all positive, and I would highly reccomend it.

Elliot87

The F80-N80 is a great camera. I still use mine a few times a week.
As far as image quality. It is completely dependant on your lens choice, and film choice.
The 28-80 was the kit lens for this camera. It should be very sufficient for a hobbyist.
My experience with this camera has been all positive, and I would highly reccomend it.

Down the line lens choice is likely to be a Tamron 70-300mm 4-5.6 VC and a 35mm 1.8 DX or a 50mm 1.8G (I was leaning toward the 35 for my D3200 but the having this camera might sway me towards the FX 50). That is unless my wife wants to buy her own lenses and not share mine.
I really don't know how easy it is to get film nowadays or where to get photos developed and how much that is likely to cost yet. Is it important to get pictures developed by someone who really knows what they're doing or is it fine to just take it to a supermarket where I'd take a disposable camera to get developed?
I'm thinking I can't really go wrong at £59 provided the condition is good. I don't know how you'd go about checking it functions properly without taking it away and shooting a roll of film?

Thanks John

John P

I don't know what the film/developing situation is like where you are. You really need to see if it is cost feasable.

I do shoot some color film from time to time. It is C-41 film, and I get it developed at a local drug store.
99% of the film I shoot is black & white. I shoot Ilford film, and develop it myself.

In my area, you shoot film because you love it. It is definitely expensive. But for me, digital just can't beat film for some shots!!!!!!
If film is not readily available, or the process is priced too high locally. Her new camera will just gather dust.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
If you are going to use AF-S lenses, I'm not sure how you will adjust your aperture. Don't most AF-S lenses rely on the camera's command dial for aperture adjustment, or are there some AF-S lenses with aperture rings?

DraganDL

F80 is a full frame camera ("Leica format", 35mm film). With the 35mm DX lens on a F80, you'll get lots of vignetting and corner softness and you wont be able to control the aperture...

Elliot87

I don't know what the film/developing situation is like where you are. You really need to see if it is cost feasable.

I do shoot some color film from time to time. It is C-41 film, and I get it developed at a local drug store.
99% of the film I shoot is black & white. I shoot Ilford film, and develop it myself.

In my area, you shoot film because you love it. It is definitely expensive. But for me, digital just can't beat film for some shots!!!!!!
If film is not readily available, or the process is priced too high locally. Her new camera will just gather dust.

I haven't had to develop any film for a while but most drug stores and supermarkets here will do it and I don't think it's too expensive.

I have no idea what film is good to use but it seems there is a good range on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...field-keywords=35mm+film&rh=i:aps,k:35mm+film
Of those on offer I'd probably try the Kodak ColourPlus based on the reviews and price.

My wife used to take film pictures a lot when she had a film compact. Since digital has come in she has been less enthusiastic about photography. If getting her this camera means we can learn together then that'd be great and at least there'll be my digital photos as back up if hers don't work out. If the worst happens and she doesn't like it I'll have a decent film SLR to play with myself ;)

Elliot87

If you are going to use AF-S lenses, I'm not sure how you will adjust your aperture. Don't most AF-S lenses rely on the camera's command dial for aperture adjustment, or are there some AF-S lenses with aperture rings?

I'm not 100% certain but from what I've read the F80 is fully compatable with AF-S, including controlling the aperture. Grays of Westminster Glossary: What's the difference between AF-D & AF-G type Nikkor lenses? | Definitions of terms If I'm not wrong the 28-80mm kit lens it was sold with was a G lens with no aperture ring.

Elliot87

F80 is a full frame camera ("Leica format", 35mm film). With the 35mm DX lens on a F80, you'll get lots of vignetting and corner softness and you wont be able to control the aperture...

To overcome the vignetting and corner softness I would plan to get large prints and crop them after. I know this would defeat the purpose of having a full frame camera but as it isn't my main camera and I intend to buy the lenses that I want for my D3200. However it is already a bit of a toss up between the 35mm and 50mm for me, so I will probably be swayed to get the 50. Am I right in saying that cropping the 35mm photos would make them the equivalent of a 50 anyway on full frame camera?

I'm not sure why I wouldn't be able to control the aperture with the 35mm? As far as I can tell the F80 is fully compatable with AF-S G lenses. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing though...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I'm not 100% certain but from what I've read the F80 is fully compatable with AF-S, including controlling the aperture. Grays of Westminster Glossary: What's the difference between AF-D & AF-G type Nikkor lenses? | Definitions of terms If I'm not wrong the 28-80mm kit lens it was sold with was a G lens with no aperture ring.

If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring, then how will it be changed? I have an N90s, and although I've never tried a 'G' lens, the only way I could fathom it would work would be to use shutter priority. That *should* allow the aperture to be set by the camera. Some of the more expensive 35mm cameras WILL work with 'G' lenses, but I'm not sure that lens will be fully operational with an F80. Your camera store should be able to give you more info.

Film and processing is an additional expense. And unless you have a Polaroid back or a handheld meter, you run the risk of exposure problems (if not using appropriate lenses made for 35mm)--and it becomes costly when you have exposure errors with film. A film camera is nice as a supplement to a DSLR, but in all honesty I've never used mine since having the DSLR. If you factor in the cost of film and processing, down the road a 35mm camera will become more expensive than saving for a DSLR.

Elliot87

If the lens doesn't have an aperture ring, then how will it be changed? I have an N90s, and although I've never tried a 'G' lens, the only way I could fathom it would work would be to use shutter priority. That *should* allow the aperture to be set by the camera. Some of the more expensive 35mm cameras WILL work with 'G' lenses, but I'm not sure that lens will be fully operational with an F80. Your camera store should be able to give you more info.

Film and processing is an additional expense. And unless you have a Polaroid back or a handheld meter, you run the risk of exposure problems (if not using appropriate lenses made for 35mm)--and it becomes costly when you have exposure errors with film. A film camera is nice as a supplement to a DSLR, but in all honesty I've never used mine since having the DSLR. If you factor in the cost of film and processing, down the road a 35mm camera will become more expensive than saving for a DSLR.

From the user manual:
"G-type Nikkor and other CPU Nikkor lens
• The G-type Nikkor lens has no aperture ring; aperture should be selected from camera body. Unlike other CPU Nikkor lenses, aperture does not need to be set to minimum (largest f-number) .
• CPU Nikkor lenses other than G-type Nikkor lens have an aperture ring. Set the lens aperture to its minimum and lock. When the lens is not set to its minimum aperture setting and the power switch is turned on, fEE blinks in the LCD panel and viewfinder and the shutter cannot be released."

I would assume from this that G lenses should also be able to meter correctly with this camera, as it has been built with their use in mind. Hopefully any FX G lenses I buy will work well on both cameras. I may use DX lenses on it, depending on the results I get post cropping. The expense of film and developing may put me off but I think this camera will be fun and get me and my wife taking pictures together so it'll probably be worth it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
From the user manual:
"G-type Nikkor and other CPU Nikkor lens
• The G-type Nikkor lens has no aperture ring; aperture should be selected from camera body.

The highlighted text is my question. How can that be accomplished with an F80? I don't think the F80 is that much different than my N90s in that mine doesn't have any type of wheel or command dial to enable the aperture setting. That's what you need to find out for certain before making your purchase.

John P

Yes, the F80/N80 can use G lenses. But I would stick with G lenses for FX cameras for it. They will also be great for your DX camera. The kit lens that comes with this camera should be fine general shooting.
What type of photography is she interested in? You could pick up a couple of D lenses for her to round out a small kit.

Sounds like the developng costs are better in your area than mine. If she enjoys shooting film then I would purchase the camera.
I still love shooting my N80.

John P

The highlighted text is my question. How can that be accomplished with an F80? I don't think the F80 is that much different than my N90s in that mine doesn't have any type of wheel or command dial to enable the aperture setting. That's what you need to find out for certain before making your purchase.

The F80/N80 has a command and a sub command dial.

Elliot87

So after probably not enough deliberation I bought it!

DSC_0137.jpg

The most important thing is that my wife likes it. At the last minute whilst in the camera shop I started thinking that a more compact film camera, like a small Pentax my be a better choice but there really wasn't anything of this quality for the price. I don't know if the cost of processing will be prohibitive in the long run, time will tell. If the worst comes to the worst it should be possible to sell it without losing too much. At just under £60 there's not much money to lose!

My wife is interested in photographing people and wildlife mostly, similar to myself. I may get her a 50 1.8, the D is tempting and I can use it with manual focus but I'm more likely to go for the G. Is there any downside of the G over the D version for the F80?

Thanks for all the feedback, you guys have been very helpful!

Elliot87

Congrats on her new camera. She will love it.

I'm sure she will! Really looking forward to us both being able to go out together, rather than feeling like I've dragged her out the house to keep me company whilst I take photos. The other plus side is I can claim to be buying new lenses for us rather than just for myself, that might make it a little easier to justify the expense ;)