Picture Control Modes

Rick M

Has anyone been experimenting with these? I took a few test shots below to evaluate the "Vivid" mode. I find shots in the natural "standard" mode to be a little bland when printed. Below are shots in this order- "standard", "vivid" and the third is "vivid"+1. The diffences are subtle, but noticeable between the first and third shots. I think I'll use vivid for future general shots. Once we get some decent weather I'll experiment with "landscape" mode. Anyone else have any experiences with the various picture modes?

DSC_0016_020.JPG
DSC_0017_021.JPG
DSC_0018_022.JPG

Last edited:

fotojack

I use the "Vivid" mode on mine all the time, too. I prefer the richer colour tone it gives me. The "Normal" setting seems too bland for my taste.

Joseph Bautsch

Just so you understand and you may already know this, the in camera picture control modes only work if you are down loading your shots into a Nikon photo management program or as jpegs. If you download RAW files into Lightroom III, Aperture III or any other raw converter program then the in camera picture control modes have no effect. If you are shooting as jpegs then the picture control settings will be imbedded and will download into any program as part of the jpeg. While the in camera picture controls work they are not nearly as effective as the adjustment controls used in Lightroom or Aperture.