Problems already!!!

yosser

My D300 came on Saturday and got a problem with it! The shutter button seems to be a bit flaky, often when I press it all the way down it doesn't fire but other times it will. If I press it lightly just past the focus stage it fires most of the time! On single shot mode it'll fire a few times which makes me think the contacts inside aren't quite right. Does anyone else have any experience with something like this? It's not a huge problem as I can return it and get another one but would like to know what the problem is.

Cheers

Dave.

rocketman122

maybe play with it a bit more before making a final decision to return.

questions
-what lens?
-what focus mode?
-try putting the lever in M and firing and see if its consistent.
-check in the menu that the S mode is lock to release and C is to release.
-Use the 2 green button reset to default settings if it has it. cant remember.
-clean the contacts of the lens and mount. every 3-4 weddings (because I change lenses quite often in them) I use a caig kit I bought a few years ago. like this:
Caig SK IN30 Deoxit® Technicians Survival Kit in Hard Case New | eBay

I use a lint free swab and put one to two drops on it and use that for the contacts on the lens and cameras. tons of black grime.
I also use this

Oster 5 Weight Lubricating Clipper Oil 5 Ounces | eBay

I use this oil VERY lightly all over the silver mount to help reduce wear and make sliding the lenses on and off very easy. VERY thin layer. reducing brassing as well.

yosser

Thanks for the advise Rocket. I've tried all that sadly. First thing I did when I realized it wasn't right was put everything to manual as I know then nothing in the settings is stopping it firing. I've tried it with a remote trigger and it fires every time so think there's defiantly a problem :(

Blacktop

Sorry to hear about this. That's the chance we take buying used. Was yours a refurb or used?. My used D300 is on it's way and should be here Thursday.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When the little green dot inside the viewfinder is lit (which confirms focus), does the shutter still not fire? And there aren't any timer settings enabled either? Just trying to eliminate all causes.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One more thing, since you mentioned it will fire several shots with one press of the shutter, is the bracketing feature turned on?

yosser

Sorry to hear about this. That's the chance we take buying used. Was yours a refurb or used?. My used D300 is on it's way and should be here Thursday.

Ya it's used but from a shop and it has a 6 month warranty on it so I'm covered thankfully. They have plenty of D300's in stock so it's just a case of getting them to send me another one. I'll get them to check over a bit better this time!

yosser

When the little green dot inside the viewfinder is lit (which confirms focus), does the shutter still not fire? And there aren't any timer settings enabled either? Just trying to eliminate all causes.

It'll focus ok but then not fire so it's not that. It only fires multiple times sometimes so there's no bracketing on. The problem is it's intermittent so difficult to work out what's going on!

fotojack

hmmm...seems like every possibility was mentioned, so I don't have a clue what it could be. Seems like your best option is to send it back and get another one.

Bill16

I agree with my buddy Jack, that it seems that you need to send it back for another one. It sure sounds like a button malfunction to me after hearing all that you tried!

yosser

Well an up date, the place I got the camera from were very good and have offered my money back, repair or replacement so I'm covered whatever I want to do. They also said they have just got a D7000 in which is tempting for only £50 more. Decisions decisions! lol