D5300 maybe ?

RocketCowboy

What's driving you to upgrade?

I haven't been hands on with the 5100, but my understanding is that there is a reasonable improvement between the 5100 and 5300. Whether it's worth it or not really depends on your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DraganDL

Depends on what kind of role it's gonna play in your hands - if you're in a need of ANY decent second (backup) DSLR body, the D5300 would be a good choice. If you need that second camera to be equipped with a flipping mirror, D5300 is an EXCELLENT choice. If you want a second camera that would be more versatile in terms of handling wider scope of lenses (old manual focus and motor drive-less AF lenses) then the D5300 wouldn't be a good choice - go for D7000 or D7100 (both are equipped with the internal motor drive).

ShootRaw

If you wanna make a jump...Go for the D7100...It has some great functions that will make your life easier...Or honestly save more and get a D610...The FX life is great over here...

Horoscope Fish

My girlfriend just recently upgraded from a D3200 to a D5300 and I have to say the D5300 is pretty sweet. While I wouldn't give up my D7100 for one but it really is a damn fine camera. It's had the OLPF removed, which is nice, and the image quality has been very impressive with average glass; put a really good prime on it and it really shines.

With the upgrade you'll get significantly more focus points and more cross-type focus points, which is always a big plus. And you'll get that sweeeeeeeet articulating rear LCD, which will be much sharper than your 5100's was, one of things I sorely miss on my D7100. The 5300 will shoot a little faster and have a faster max ISO... Lots of little upgrades. We find the GPS is nice touch but the wi-fi is about useless.

Fred Kingston

I wouldn't for 2 major reasons...

1. neither the D5100 or the D5300 has a focus motor... that short-circuits about 1/2 the lens usefulness...
2. Neither has Nikon's CLS system... in controlling external/multiple flashes natively...

Just my opinion, I wouldn't upgrade just for the sensor differences...

Bill16

If your loving the D5100 but your feeling the desire to upgrade, I'd suggest a bigger jump. I'd go with the D7100 if your loving the D5100. I think you'll get more out of upgrading that way. :)

RocketCowboy

If your loving the D5100 but your feeling the desire to upgrade, I'd suggest a bigger jump. I'd go with the D7100 if your loving the D5100. I think you'll get more out of upgrading that way. :)

Going from the 5100 (or even 5300) to the 7100 should be pretty painless in that current lenses/flash on the D5x00 would still work on the 7100, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aroy

If you wanna make a jump...Go for the D7100...It has some great functions that will make your life easier...Or honestly save more and get a D610...The FX life is great over here...

I second that. In fact I would say that upgrade to D610, as there is not all that much difference in price between D7100 and D610. If funds are a problem, then stick to D5100 for now and save up for D610 and FF lenses.