inquiry on purchase of a new lens

codimy

Hello everyone,

My name is Allen and i am new to this site and also new to photography, i own a D60 with a 18-55 mm lens and am looking to buy a bigger one and do not know which one to buy between these both lenses, please feel free to send your advice on the good and the bad of these two products: AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR (5.5x)
AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR. Now i both manipulated these two lenses and obviously the 70-300mm is heavier and has more features on it but would it be too heavy for the D60 Body? Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers.

Joseph Bautsch

Welcome to the Nikonites Community. This is a good site to get information and learn about photography. If you would complete your profile with something about yourself and the camera equipment you are using. That way we will know more about how to respond to your posts and questions. As to which lens to buy, both are very good and you would not go wrong with either one. I have owned and used both extensively. The choice is yours to make. Which one are you most comfortable with? The only difference I see is a gap in coverage between the 18-55mm and the 70-300mm. With the 55-300mm you have a full range of 18mm to 300mm. The difference in range is relatively minor so I would not consider it a deal killer.

fotojack

I'll just agree with everything Joseph said, because it's what I was going to suggest; get the 55-300mm VR lens. This way, you're covered between 18 and 300mm. Two lenses that will do everything you'll need to do for the time being. Plus, the 55-300 is relatively cheap when you think about it. :)

codimy

Thank you gents for the help, i have looked at my options and did buy the 70-300mm and will be trying this one out in the next coming days, so far so good and with the few shots i took, i do believe that the image is sharper with this lens.

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers