WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter for D610?

eal1

Ordered the D610 with 24-85 kit lens and picking it up tomorrow. Has anyone had experience with the
WU-1b wireless accessory and is it worth purchasing? Does it work will with iPhones, iPads, apple computers?
what are the drawbacks to it? why purchase it?

Eyelight

I use one with the D3200 to communicate with a Samsung tablet. I have not used it extensively, but is handy, especially when the shot setup prevents using the viewfinder or Live View. The wifi range is longer than with a remote and you can, of course, see what the camera sees like a bigger Live View on a tablet.

The photos download to the tablet, phone, etc and you can view the images that are on the camera on the tablet, phone, etc.

You should be able to download the apps for the Apple gizmos and get an idea of what they do.

Eyelight

I use one with the D3200 to communicate with a Samsung tablet. I have not used it extensively, but is handy, especially when the shot setup prevents using the viewfinder or Live View. The wifi range is longer than with a remote and you can, of course, see what the camera sees like a bigger Live View on a tablet.

The photos download to the tablet, phone, etc and you can view the images that are on the camera on the tablet, phone, etc.

You should be able to download the apps for the Apple gizmos and get an idea of what they do.

Correction: I have the WU-1a, but it appears from Nikonusa.com that they function the same as a WU-1b.

Noticed the "iPhone® and iPad®: iOS version 6.0 or later"

Eyelight

Slow evening, so decided to play with the WU-1a a little more. Of course, Apple gizmos may be different, but I imagine, since it is a fairly simple app, not much.

Basically, using the Wireless Mobile Utility app you can:

- Use Live View on a tablet/phone
- Actuate the shutter
- Download a low res image to the tablet/phone
- Synchronize the camera clock
- Set device and camera shutdown/battery options
- Select image size to download to tablet/phone (not camera size)
- Embed location data in the downloaded image
- A few other things maybe

You cannot control camera settings remotely.

A few screenshots from the tablet.

WMU opening screen
Screenshot_2014-05-21-21-37-37.png

Live View on tablet before the shot
Screenshot_2014-05-21-21-41-50.jpg

Viewing photo after download on tablet
Screenshot_2014-05-21-21-42-36.jpg

Krs_2007

Dslr dashboard doesn't work with iPhone or iPads. Wish it did, heard great things about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eyelight

I consider Nikons' WMU app to be Wimpware.

Use DSLR Dashboard if you really wanna take charge of the camera.

Heard a rumor there was such an app, but had not got around to looking for it. Does not appear to be available for @eal1 's Apple gizmos, but guessing there is an app similar.

I'll have to check it out, but even without camera controls, I would buy another WU-1a if/when I lose, break, step on this one.

SteveH

I vote for DSLR Dashboard too - The main thing to bear in mind with Nikon's WMU, is that you cannot change camera settings... So setting it up looking at a birdtable means get the settings right first.

DSLR Dashboard lets you change everything, even do custom bracketing of however many shots and timelapses.

My biggest disappointment with the WU-1a (Same as the "b", just a different connector) is it's signal strength - A wall, window or anything over ~5 meters and it struggles.