D300 VS D3100 ISO capabilitry

Blacktop

Could someone who owns both cameras, or used to own one and now owns the other, tell me please if the D300 comes close or as about equal to the D3100 as far as low light capability?

Bill16

I have both, but I usually have plenty of light, and/or use a flash, so I've never tested them. I think the D3100 has slightly better iso abilities, but that is just a guess.
The main points for the D300 is that it's pro level without the menu based adjustments, pro build quality, built-in focus motor,and more! The iso is it's one real short coming from what I've read, other than megapixels. But I think you'll be able to find a much more accurate iso comparison if you Google D3100 vs D300. :)

pedroj

A nice sunrise taken on Monday Morning...F8...1/125 sec...ISO 200...24mm..6.32 AM...Focused on the clouds to the left of center...

Sunrise 19th May 025.jpg

Blacktop

I'm not much worried about anything higher than 1600 ISO. The reason I'm looking to upgrade is the auto bracketing and the auto focus built in motor.
It would have been nice to get the 7100 with the higher MP count and the much better low light capability, but as long as the D300 matches the D3100 IQ I can live with it for a few years while I save for the D7100.

Just-Clayton

OK! I set up all three of my cameras. The 300s and 3100 are at speed 200, f1.8, ISO 1600. Speed for 610 @ 180. 300s 1st,3100 2nd and 610 3rdDSC_8455_edited.jpg

_DSC0005_edited.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_4576_edited.jpg
    DSC_4576_edited.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited by a moderator:

Bill16

They aren't going to match. You can find a good comparison HERE!

I'm not much worried about anything higher than 1600 ISO. The reason I'm looking to upgrade is the auto bracketing and the auto focus built in motor.
It would have been nice to get the 7100 with the higher MP count and the much better low light capability, but as long as the D300 matches the D3100 IQ I can live with it for a few years while I save for the D7100.

Blacktop

Thanks Just-Clayton. looks like the 3100 beats the D300 but not by much. I imagine that at ISO 800 they would be pretty much equal.
BTW you just had to throw in that D610 shot didn't you. . Show off!;)

Just-Clayton

Thanks Just-Clayton. looks like the 3100 beats the D300 but not by much. I imagine that at ISO 800 they would be pretty much equal.
BTW you just had to throw in that D610 shot didn't you. . Show off!;)
In a Steve Irkel voice "Did I do that??" Since the 610 I haven't used the other two as much. The 300s is a work horse and she will stay with me for back up. Besides, the 3100 feels too small in the hands now.

Blacktop

KEH has one used for 449.00 dollars. They also have a used D7000 for 619.99. Just another 160 dollars. They have a used 7100 for just another ....oh nevermind. This never ends.:mad:

LensWork

High ISO performance has much to do with whether you shoot in raw or jpeg, and what software you use to process the image. Here is a shot with a D300 at ISO 2800, shot in raw and processed in Nikon Capture NX2:

_3ML2641.jpg

fotojack

I will NEVER sell my D300! It does everything I want it to. Calculate the number of times you're actually going to use a high ISO. I'll bet 90% of your shots will be under 800 ISO...if not lower!

Let me know when you get it and I'll send you the D300 Setuo Guide. :)

Blacktop

I will NEVER sell my D300! It does everything I want it to. Calculate the number of times you're actually going to use a high ISO. I'll bet 90% of your shots will be under 800 ISO...if not lower!

Thanks Jack. I can count on two hands how many times I really needed ISO 800 or higher.
My mind is made up now. Getting the D300. I'll probably order the one from KEH for 449.00.

Geoffc

Jack, I loved my 300 as much as you do, but my 800 and 7100 allow me to set aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO do it's thing. Especially if I want higher shutter speed I'm ok with ISO 3200. I guess it depends if this is relevant to what you shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pedroj

Jack, I loved my 300 as much as you do, but my 800 and 7100 allow me to set aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO do it's thing. Especially if I want higher shutter speed I'm ok with ISO 3200. I guess it depends if this is relevant to what you shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I very seldom use ISO higher then 400...I shot ballet in matrix at ISO 800 and got some great shots