Worth getting the kit lens?

Nero

So unless Nikon actually announces/releases the D7200 sometime soon I'll be upgrading my D3100 to the D7100. I'm wondering tho if it's worth paying the extra money for the 18-140mm kit lens that comes with it and replacing the 18-55mm that came with my D3100 with it or if I should keep the 18-55mm and save myself a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

rocketman122

So unless Nikon actually announces/releases the D7200 sometime soon I'll be upgrading my D3100 to the D7100. I'm wondering tho if it's worth paying the extra money for the 18-140mm kit lens that comes with it and replacing the 18-55mm that came with my D3100 with it or if I should keep the 18-55mm and save myself a few hundred bucks.

if you need the comfort of that range then yes. itll save you from changing the lens often

im biased towards pro lens so Id go with either the sigma 18-35 1.8 or get a used nikon 17-55 2.8. I want the best in IQ and I like to shoot pretty open. but youre buying. personally save your money and get better glass. the D7100 can resolve a lot. good glass will show its true talent.

Pretzel

You've already got the 50mm 1.8g and the 55-300, so I'd say save the bucks. I had several lenses already (listed below in my sig) so just didn't see the need. In truth, my 50mm and 70-300mm are the two lenses on my camera most of the time, and I only use the 18-55 for the times I need a shot in the 18-35 range, or want to be able to focus a bit closer (as it's minimal focus distance is around 12 inches or so). All the extra pixels with the D7100 will allow you to crop a bit more heavily, too.

Sure, the 18-140 is a bit more versatile as a "carry one" walkabout lens, so you have to weigh out a couple hundred bucks vs. carrying another lens or two and being willing to switch on the run if needed.

Just my .02, which is really only worth about .01 on a good day. :cool:

crycocyon

I did a test recently of the D7100 against the D4 and D800 with different lenses including the 18-140. I have yet to get all the photos together for the review thread (hopefully soon) but the 18-140 really doesn't bring out the full capability of the D7100 sensor. There is so much more that you would be missing. So I agree, save your money for more serious glass to take full advantage of that wonderful sensor resolution. You would probably be better off getting a 35mm f1.8 DX lens than the kit lens since you already have the 18-55 for more general use. Based on what I've seen with my 18-55, the 18-140 performs better but I don't think you gain that much as the 18-55 is in itself already a very good performer as a kit lens, although I haven't compared it with the 18-140 directly. As mentioned I would save your shekels for more serious glass down the road.

singlerosa_RIP

Considering that you can buy the body and lens as a kit, my vote would be to get the 18-140. My son purchased a 5300 recently with the 18-140 and, after shooting a bit with his setup, I like the results and the range. Nothing against the 18-55, but it's a cheap lens. Sure a 17-55 2.8 would be lots better. Many lenses will be better, but they're not $300 (if purchased with the 7100). Plus, you can use that lens for a couple of years and sell it for 2/3 of what you paid for it. You might get as many opinions as responses here, so good luck and happy shooting with the 7100.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I have the 18-140 and the 7100, and it takes a good shot. I usually leave it on the camera unless I'm shooting something special that requires my 2.8's. It's lighter and has a great range. For the price in the kit, you can't go wrong. I'm with Jim above ^^^^^

Horoscope Fish

It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to spend to get it of course, but I'd say the 18-140mm is a damn fine lens, especially on the '7100; don't dismiss it out of hand just because it's a kit lens. I love mine.

DXO Mark gives it high marks in their review and, in conjunction with your 50mm and 55-300mm, I'd say you'd be well covered.

Nero

Your upgrading to a D7100, If in the future you think you might go full frame, Buy FX glass

I don't plan on it. Too expensive for my tastes since I doubt I'll ever go pro.

I definitely have quite a bit to think about anyway now. :p

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Nero

Seems like the best thing to do is just get the body. I've already got enough lenses that would make up for the 18-140mm focal length and it's pretty good glass so why bother getting a lens I wouldn't need?