Hello D300 :)

yosser

Hi all. I'm new on here so thought I'd say hello as I have a D300 on it's way to me of the weekend, along with a Tamron 28-75 2.8 :) It's a bit of a full circle for me in that I used Nikon film cameras and my first digital camera was a D100. I went pro using Nikon stayed with them up to the D2x when I changed over to Canon with the 1Dmk2 (we all make mistakes! lol) I stopped the pro work a few years ago for reasons I wont bore you with and all my gear was sold off :( Since then I've had a number of decent consumer cameras from Samsung, Canon and most recently Fuji with the X-E1 which is an amazing camera. Recently though I've been getting asked to to do a few jobs and felt I needed a more capable camera so started looking around at what could be had on a limited budget (read very limited!) There's so many great cameras around for not much money, all with plenty of pixels and good ISO performance it's hard to choose! I decided on the D300 as it has more of a pro body that I was used to working with, has decent ISO performance and more than enough pixels. I'm very than aware that the megapixel race has been more of a marketing ploy from the manufactures than what photographers really need! I would have gone for a D2x again as you can get them for stupid money but Nikon was behind the curve with ISO until the D3/D300 came out (still might though as it'd make a great studio/portrait camera) Anyway enough waffling! lol I'm excited to be back in the Nikon camp and looking forward to shooting with a proper camera again :)

Cheers

Dave.

Browncoat

Hola, Dave! Since you're a former pro, we could definitely use your experience and advice in the Photography Business section. Be sure to drop in and say hi there also!

Yes, the D300 makes an excellent studio camera. It's also awesome for street and sports photography. Where it excels in several areas, it definitely falls short in the ISO department. It may be better performing than what you were used to, but just about anything above ISO 800 on a D300 is pretty noisy. I love the camera, but the poor ISO performance has always been a hindrance.

At any rate, welcome back to the Nikon camp. Toss a D600 on the fire and pull up a chair!

yosser

Thanks for the welcome guys :) I know what you mean about the ISO performance Browncoat, I could have got something for around the same money with better ISO but just love the feel of the D300, it's size, weight and handling are just right for me, plus I shoot a lot with flash so don't tend to push the ISO very high that often. Now I'm happy to join in and give anyone advice using my knowledge gained from my time as a pro but the last place you want me giving advice is in the business section, me not being a pro any more is a hint to why! lol Good tog poor businessman I'm afraid!

Dave.

fotojack

Good! Finally, another D300 shooter! Bill and I were feeling a bit left out at times! lol :)

I, too, love the feel and performance of the venerable D300. ISO is not an issue for me with the type of photography I do. Also, I'm not into all the bells and whistles of many of todays DSLR's, especially video.

Welcome to Nikonites, Dave. If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

FAQ

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member

Geoffc

Welcome Dave, where are your from? I wasn't sure if Yosser meant Liverpool but if you're not from there you won't get that.

We had a couple of D300 bodies in our family and they are fantastic cameras. If you control the light using flash the ISO won't bother you at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yosser

Welcome Dave, where are your from? I wasn't sure if Yosser meant Liverpool but if you're not from there you won't get that.

No I'm from Derby Geff but Yosser was my nickname for years so you can probably guess my surname! lol

Another hearty welcome to Nikonites! Hope we can see some of your former pro work up in the member gallery.

I'll have to get some put up as long as you don't mind shots taken on Canon gear as that's mostly what I have left these days I'm afraid.

I, too, love the feel and performance of the venerable D300. ISO is not an issue for me with the type of photography I do. Also, I'm not into all the bells and whistles of many of todays DSLR's, especially video.

I'm with you on not wanting video, plus the ones in the same price range with the better ISO performance seemed to be the cheaper consumer ones and I can't be doing with a dial on the top plate giving scene modes! Manual, shutter and aperture are plenty for me! lol Plus they aren't as well build as the D300 and I'm not the gentlest person on gear!