In from Missouri

dh photography

Good evening all. Great to be here. I've lurked around the site for about a week, and finally had to chime in with an issue I was having. The folks here quickly came to help. Figured I better stop in for an intro.

I'm from SE MO. Been taking pics off and on for years. Up until recently, I had never had a digital slr. Picked up a D3200 to get started. Right now I'm just using the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses. Will move into a 50mm or 85mm once I'm more familiar and comfortable with the new platform.

I hope to hang out here often to pick up as much knowledge as I can. Looks like I may need all I can get.

Btw - here's a few pics from my first week with the new setup:

CSC_0273_zpsa8ad65b0.jpg

DSC_0319_zpsd91b79af.jpg

CSC_0383_zpsee5c1a86.jpg

DSC_0290_zps41e47607.jpg

CSC_0313_zps130104cd.jpg

dh photography

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. It's great to see replies from around the globe.

So, where should I go from here?!? Where are the best tutorials or suggestions posted?

D

RocketCowboy

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. It's great to see replies from around the globe.

So, where should I go from here?!? Where are the best tutorials or suggestions posted?

D

As a new guy myself, I've been following the "Learning Photography" section here, and just watching some of the various "Let's see your photos of xyz" and using that as inspiration to go outside and try similar. Post up questions when you have them, and take in what others are doing. I'll know if I actually learned anything through this process here in about another week. :)

singlerosa_RIP

D

Folks just starting out ONLY have to learn two main things: photography and their camera. :cool: They kinda go hand in hand. If you don't know anything about photography, some of the features (or capabilities) of a camera won't make any sense. That's why cameras have an Auto mode. Once you start to understand the golden triangle and why you would want a huge DOF for some shots and a narrow DOF for others, or a fast shutter speed for one and a slower shutter speed for other, you can start to take advantage of shooting in A, S or M. My $.02 worth of advice (outside of this forum) is YouTube. There are videos for just about every photographic situation possible as well as many on hardware, like your camera and lenses.