To remove, or not to remove, that is the question!

Moab Man

If it's going to be 2 months or more then I would. But that amount of time is arbitrary as a battery could go bad and leak the day you put it in and do its damage. However, that's what I do.

WayneF

I might remove the batteries for extended storage, but otherwise, I would never consider it.

I've never heard any mention of Lithium or NiMH batteries leaking. And I don't use alkalines in camera gear.

Eyelight

Overnight or a few days even, I usually do not remove. Always a good idea to remove any batteries from anything for extended storage.

I did have a Li-ion battery in a camcorder swell after discharging once and left for too long. There was no visible leak, but it almost had to be ready to ooze something.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Do you remove your batteries and or battery grip when you pack away your DSLR?:confused:

I'll leave them if it is within 2 weeks.

This will be more of a concern for alkaline batteries when people leave them inside their flash. I've seen severe leakage which corroded the battery springs / terminals inside the flash.

aroy

It is a good idea to take the batteries out if not using for some time. Apart from leaking and corroding the terminals, some times the equipment may develop shorts or simply drain the battery. In hot climate like India, it is always better to take the batteries out, as any thing may happen when the ambient hits 45 degrees centigrade.

mikew_RIP

When i put my D70 away i had no idea it was going to be 5 or 6 years before i picked it up again so the battery was left in.when i started again i charged the battery and ime still using it,not suggesting what i did is a good idea but it shows how good battery's are now.(it was a Nikon battery)

Eyelight

Reference the D3200 manual:

In the cautions on page X, it states "Batteries are prone to leakage when fully discharged".

In the battery care instructions on page 185, it notes that the camera will draw on the battery, and should be removed if storing for extended time. But it also says to run it flat before storing the battery, which contradicts the caution on page X.

Nikons online care article echos the info on page 185, so I'm guessing the info on page X is leftover from earlier battery technology.

Having looked at all this, there are issues with Li-ion batteries. Some if not all have circuitry to prevent bad things from happening; think grounded aircraft and exploding laptops. I can't remember if there was ever a recall on older types of batteries, so that tells me Li-ions need more thought to use.