Have lens will travel?

Browncoat

I live in rural Ohio. It's not exactly an environment that lends itself to natural beauty. I got to thinking today, that if I received some kind of grant money to travel and take pictures, where would I go? There are at least 10 places that are on my list, and I bet you have some too. Here's my list, in order:

1. Arizona. This place is a landscape photog's dream, and I would love to visit there for a few months and do nothing but fill up memory cards. Aside from the desert sky, I'd love to see some of the architecture and visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West.

2. New York City. Street photography heaven! Was there in 1999 for New Year's Eve and would like to spend more time on my next visit. Would definitely like to see Ground Zero as well.

3. Las Vegas. The last "touristy" place I went before I switched to DSLR. Oh, how I'd like to go back and do it all over again. I could live in Vegas...my kinda place!

4. Washington, DC. My young eyes filled up 10 rolls of film on a Kodak Disc camera (remember those?) back in 1989. I remember being amazed by all the homeless veterans out on the streets begging for money. That's something I'd like to document on another visit.

5. Los Angeles. And/or Hollywood. More street photography. See how the west coast does things. I'd visit the tattoo shops and the projects.

6. Egypt. This used to be much higher on my list, but with the political instability, I doubt I would even go anywhere near it now. Still, the lure of the pyramids and the culture there is hard to resist.

7. Germany.I'm fascinated by their history and culture, it would be cool to see it in person.

8. Paris. What can I say, it's the romantic in me.

9. Rome. See above.

10. London. I have to see 221B Baker Street before I kick the bucket. I just have to!

johnwartjr

Interesting thread. I'm not too far from you, really, in Cornfield County, Indiana. I am lucky that my city is ranked 5th or 6th in the US for architecture, but I'm more interested in people photography than I am architecture.

One interesting challenge, really, is trying to make something from what you have. One local park has been shot to death by every photographer in town. But it's neat to try and find a unique angle. Barns can be fun to photograph.

I'd like to go to Rural Iowa. Southern KY. Decaying Detroit. DFW. San Francisco. Tennessee

Many of those places I've been, and would like to go again. Some of them, I haven't been to yet.

Really, I'd just like to have the time to shoot some photos :)

fotojack

I live in rural Ohio. It's not exactly an environment that lends itself to natural beauty. I got to thinking today, that if I received some kind of grant money to travel and take pictures, where would I go? There are at least 10 places that are on my list, and I bet you have some too. Here's my list, in order:

1. Arizona. This place is a landscape photog's dream, and I would love to visit there for a few months and do nothing but fill up memory cards. Aside from the desert sky, I'd love to see some of the architecture and visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West.

2. New York City. Street photography heaven! Was there in 1999 for New Year's Eve and would like to spend more time on my next visit. Would definitely like to see Ground Zero as well.

3. Las Vegas. The last "touristy" place I went before I switched to DSLR. Oh, how I'd like to go back and do it all over again. I could live in Vegas...my kinda place!

4. Washington, DC. My young eyes filled up 10 rolls of film on a Kodak Disc camera (remember those?) back in 1989. I remember being amazed by all the homeless veterans out on the streets begging for money. That's something I'd like to document on another visit.

5. Los Angeles. And/or Hollywood. More street photography. See how the west coast does things. I'd visit the tattoo shops and the projects.

6. Egypt. This used to be much higher on my list, but with the political instability, I doubt I would even go anywhere near it now. Still, the lure of the pyramids and the culture there is hard to resist.

7. Germany.I'm fascinated by their history and culture, it would be cool to see it in person.

9. Rome. See above.

10. London. I have to see 221B Baker Street before I kick the bucket. I just have to!

I noticed you didn't put Canada on your list. tsk tsk tsk ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Not much to photograph in Windsor though... Rockies would be better for pictures.

Obir

9. Rome. See above.

You can't go wrong on any of the places on your list (at least the ones I've been to: #2,4,5,7 & 8). They're all different "experiences" and have lots of photo ops.
Next on my travel wish list would be Japan:)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

9. Rome. See above.

I've been to all except #6. Great list. From personal experience I would add Prague, Czech Republic; Bruges, Belgium; Lake Como, Italy; Chicago, Illinois; Seattle, Washington; Estes Park, Colorado; Eureka Springs, Arkansas; Mendocino, California; El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico and the Appalachian Trail.

My to-do list includes Spain (I'm going in May); Greece; St. Petersburg, Russia; Belize; St. Maartan; The Great Wall of China; Kyoto, Japan; Niagara Falls, Ontario and the list keeps growing. . . . . . LOL

kayte

If anyone comes to Canada, Rockies are a good photographic place, so is Quebec (in the fall esp!) and where I am, St.Lawerence River near Kingston.

theregsy

If you make it to the UK then come along to Cumbria, the Lakes and mountians are stunning, if you can make your way to Buttermere, Wasdale and Ennerdale although the area is great for photography, rugged mountains, forests and lakes and tarns everywhere the locations I mention are almost totally unspoilt by hotels and the other touristy things that appear. Wasdale is gorgeous with Scafell pike (Englands tallest mountain) at the head of the lake its a beautful valley. Ennerdale has almost no buildings around it anywhere and feels very wild. Buttermere is just great. So if you are passing this way pop in for some pictures. :)
If I won the lottery I think I could happily wander the world with a camera just exploring anywhere that looks interesting. Prague is a beautiful city as is Amsterdamn but so many places to visit and so little time (or Money LOL). Ahhh I can dream. Although just had another thought, maybe I could follow the Moto GP races around the world, that sounds like a cunning plan........ ;)