Nose Prints on the LCD

RocketCowboy

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem using the viewfinder where they keep bumping their nose against the LCD? I'm trying to figure out if it's just how I'm holding the camera or if I've got a bigger than normal nose or what. :cool:

Anyway, just curious. Do most of you shoot in Live View mode, or use the viewfinder instead?

weebee

I considered plastic surgery to correct this. But I'll live with it. Thank god I'm not Jimmy Durante! I use the view finder 99% of the time. Plus, I clean the LCD screen after I'm done.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
View finder unless if I am shooting a MF lens or shooting video.

I am right handed but my dominant eye is my left eye, so my nose and face are pressed against the rear LCD most of the time.

A hoodman hoodeye might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wev

Contributor
Viewfinder only and yes, the left side is always smudgy, distorting the image when checking a shot.

RocketCowboy

I am right handed but my dominant eye is my left eye, so my nose and face are pressed against the rear LCD most of the time.

Likewise, I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Sounds like I'm not alone though, so thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Ditto...right handed but left eye dominant. :) I always use the viewfinder, and I just clean the screen when done shooting. Oh...and I use a Hoodman. :)

John Braden

I use the viewfinder, as it'll show what you're shooting immediately, not like the delay in the live-view. I only use live-view for video, as it's the only way to shoot video! lol! I do have problems with my "proboscis" hitting the LCD screen too, but I buy a few protectors and angle my head down a bit!

STM

I have one of these on my D700. It just snaps on like any other protector. I don't use the LCD hardly at all. This cover protects it and does make it easier to see in bright sun. I have only found one for the D700 and not other cameras

$(KGrHqJ,!jgFEhMUu!UKBSWN!hL3V!~~60_12.JPG

Rick M

Viewfinder mostly. I tend to angle my head down and to the left so my big nose does not hit the screen. My glasses also create a bit of distance anyway. My LCD remains nose smudge free :)

Roy1961

Contributor
99% of the time its the view finder, testing which eye on my imaginary air camera now lol, i think its my right eye, no a quick check says left eye, never thought of this, screen is clean so my snout is not in the way

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Left eye dominate here too. I usually have the LCD closed, so no problem. Of course if I want to switch a setting that is not in the viewfinder, then the LCD gets opened for the change and then closed. Not always convenient though and have contemplated trying it with it open. Still playing around. As far as the LCD on the D5300, how many have a screen protector on it?

RocketCowboy

Left eye dominate here too. I usually have the LCD closed, so no problem. Of course if I want to switch a setting that is not in the viewfinder, then the LCD gets opened for the change and then closed. Not always convenient though and have contemplated trying it with it open. Still playing around. As far as the LCD on the D5300, how many have a screen protector on it?

No screen protector on mine. That is my one gripe with the 5300...changing settings requires a lot of menu access, or at least hitting the info button and drilling in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk