7 Rules for CPL Filters

Joseph Bautsch

This is a great article for those who want to learn something about scenic photography using a polarizer filter. I recommend bookmarking his web site and visit it often. One thing he does not point out is that a CPL is also equal to a 1.3 or 1.5 ND and needs to be accounted for when making an exposure. The only thing I would disagree with is leaving a CPL filter on the lens rather than a UV or a clear glass filter. I did that with a very expensive Hoya CPL on a four day scenic workshop and damaged the outer surface of the filter. The coatings on a CPL are not as scratch resistant as on a good UV filter and as a result are more prone to being damaged. Replacing a good CPL is a lot more expensive than a UV. Thanks for the post Jack.

Last edited:

Vixen

Singh Ray filters are supposed to be extremely good. I like the look of that Gold n Blue polariser but just can't justify the cost sadly :( They are 5 times what you pay for a Hoya. Probably 5 times better too ;)

Horoscope Fish

Can someone explain the claim, "... the Color Intensifier only adds 1/3 of a stop to your exposure," please?

I don't understand how a filter can ADD to the exposure value. I'm still on my first cup of coffee over here so maybe I'm missing something stupidly obvious but I'm prepared for that possibility. Explanation still sought, appreciated.

Michael J.

Yesterday I went to three shops and couldn't get any 67mm CPL. Kenko so I got told is not that good. Hoya were 2 types one of them was Pro1. B+W I saw it too. I was unable to decide which one is good for my Nikon 16-85mm.

So I will search here for more infos which my help me to get a clue which CPL.

Rick M

Yesterday I went to three shops and couldn't get any 67mm CPL. Kenko so I got told is not that good. Hoya were 2 types one of them was Pro1. B+W I saw it too. I was unable to decide which one is good for my Nikon 16-85mm.

So I will search here for more infos which my help me to get a clue which CPL.

Make sure you get one that is multi-coated! If you come across a Promaster, they have a coating called Repellamax which is excellent.

Michael J.

I just informed that the site has moved (see my quote of fotojack) and that I read something but didn't say anything about rules. :rolleyes: