Hello from Northumberland, UK!

Elliot87

Hi Nikonites!

I'm pretty much a complete newbie having just purchased my first DSLR, a D3200. I think I've just about got the very basics figured out, having lived with a keen photographer for 12months I managed to learn a little but there is so much I'm still clueless about, which is why I've joined this forum.

I'm mostly interested in wildlife photography, although I intend to have my camera with me as much as possible so I'll hopefully get some interesting shots of all sorts eventually.

I'm looking forward to meeting the regulars here and getting some lens advice. I'm not all that happy with the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED and standard 18-55mm lenses that I got with the camera. Neither have VR and I'm thinking this might be more important than I realised. Still I'm sure both lenses are more capable than I am right now and the tripod I've ordered should help.

Anyway, hi folks!

Elliot

Last edited:

SteveH

Welcome Elliot!
The 18-55mm is fine without VR, the 55-200 will just require a bit better technique than one with VR, but its certainly not unusable or even near that. Either way, you will soon get used to using them and start getting some great shots.

Elliot87

Thanks Steve!
Frustratingly I have slightly shaky hands (doctor says its nothing) but it is making photography a little more tricky. I'm wondering if a remote shutter release would be a good idea to go along with the tripod?

fotojack

There's a reason they're called kit lenses....they get you started taking pictures. :)

Smart move on getting a tripod. VR is not used on tripods anyway, so both your lenses will be just fine if used on a tripod. A remote shutter release wouldn't hurt if you have shaky hands. :) Another item to consider would be a monopod.

Which tripod did you order? They're not all built the same. The sturdier the better. Get the best one you can afford.

Last edited:

Englischdude

Hi Elliot,

welcome to the forum. Did you buy the camera new? I was under the impression that the 18-55 and 55-200 which are sold as kit lenses with the camera DO have vr. I just bought a 3100 for my wife to go on holiday with so she doesn't destroy my d7k, and that came with a kit 18-55 which does have vr. check for the switch on the side of the lens.

Have fun, read the manual, ask and most importantly shoot! Looking forward to seeing some of your pics.

MartinCornwall

Hi welcome to the forum from Newquay, Cornwall. I bought the D3200 as a 2nd body to my D7000 and the resolution and sharpness can be awesome. I tend to find it over exposes on sunny days so I always dial in -0.7 Ev to correct this.

Elliot87

Which tripod did you order? They're not all built the same. The sturdier the better. Get the best one you can afford.

Having just spent approximately £100+ more on the camera than I'd planned (I was looking at D3100 with just one lens) I couldn't afford much or at least couldn't justify spending much on a tripod to my wife ;) So I went for a Hama star 63. I read good reviews and a friend has one and likes it so hopefully if will do for now. At less than £20 I can always upgrade it for something more sturdy, without having wasted too much money. Have you used this or a similar tripod at all?

Elliot87

Hi welcome to the forum from Newquay, Cornwall. I bought the D3200 as a 2nd body to my D7000 and the resolution and sharpness can be awesome. I tend to find it over exposes on sunny days so I always dial in -0.7 Ev to correct this.

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I've figured out where half the settings are yet, let alone what to set them on, so hints like this are much appreciated!

Elliot87

Hi Elliot,

welcome to the forum. Did you buy the camera new? I was under the impression that the 18-55 and 55-200 which are sold as kit lenses with the camera DO have vr. I just bought a 3100 for my wife to go on holiday with so she doesn't destroy my d7k, and that came with a kit 18-55 which does have vr. check for the switch on the side of the lens.

Hi Martin,

Yes it was purchased new from Curry's in the UK. I've just double checked and neither lens is VR. I knew the 55-200mm wouldn't be when I ordered as it displayed pictures of the lens, I'd assumed the 18-55mm would be VR but there was no picture of it and limited information about the lenses on the website. My former housemate has a D3100 and his 18-55 also has VR like your wifes, that's why I'd assumed mine would be too.

The main thing is that I'm having fun with it and can only get better. I think I'll take your advice and have a better look at the manual this evening.

Cheers

Elliot87

DSC_0083.jpg
Here is one of my first shots with the 55-200. I like it but I'm sure there's plenty that's wrong with it. Any constructive criticism is appreciated!

nononadanope

Thanks Steve!
Frustratingly I have slightly shaky hands (doctor says its nothing) but it is making photography a little more tricky. I'm wondering if a remote shutter release would be a good idea to go along with the tripod?

First and foremost: Welcome to the forum! I'm a new member here as well.

As far as the shaky hands. I have that problem as well. I've learned that I can reduce the shakiness if I hold the camera differently, such as having one hand more under the body and also helps me when I let my elbows touch my sides instead of having them outwards or something. Another tip is related to breathing and the one that has helped me is by taking a few deep breaths to relax, focus on the shot, then exhale about 50%, pause and take the shot. You can also do it fully exhaling or if that doesn't work, you could inhale, pause and take the shot. I'm not sure how bad your hands shake though but those have helped me.

Elliot87

Thanks for the advice and welcome to you too! I'll definitely work on my technique holding the camera and taking my time. I also shoot with rifles as well as cameras and use pretty much the same breathing technique you've described when on the rifle range, just haven't put it into practice with the camera. My hand shake isn't too bad but I'm conscious that it will be impacting on the sharpness of my images, which is very frustrating.

Elliot87

Thanks for the feedback! It's when it comes to composition that I feel most like a beginner, with it being very much hit and miss atm and little things like pointing out the green ear definitely give me something to think about when I'm next taking shots like these.

nononadanope

Thanks for the advice and welcome to you too! I'll definitely work on my technique holding the camera and taking my time. I also shoot with rifles as well as cameras and use pretty much the same breathing technique you've described when on the rifle range, just haven't put it into practice with the camera. My hand shake isn't too bad but I'm conscious that it will be impacting on the sharpness of my images, which is very frustrating.

You're welcome and you're correct about the breathing techniques working the same way when shooting as I target practice with handguns. I will say, that I have noticed that the sharpness in my photos do improve when my hand doesn't shake or is very minimal. Just have to practice.