D3100 lens compatability

Harriscm28

So i recently bought a D3100 (just the body) on ebay, and i have every intention of purchasing a nikkor 55-300mm once i have the money. In the meantime I've acquired a box of some old retired cameras and lenses, mostly olympus stuff, but there is a Hanimex Hi-Tec 35-200mm macro lens in there that caught my eye. i dont really know much about lens compatability but is there an adapter that will allow my d3100 to support this lens? id really like something to play around with while i save up for a nikkor.

Sandpatch

I'm not sure what your experience level is or what you want to do with the camera, but if I'd acquired a D3100 camera body without a lens, I'd buy one of two lenses.

The simple and infinitely usable "prime" AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G would be a good choice. It's short, light, offers excellent depth-of-field capabilities for creative shots and will replicate exactly what your eye sees in terms of format.

Or, buy the fine "kit" lens - the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR which will give you some extended range for wide angle and telephoto shots.

The 55-300mm is also a great lens, but you might find it limiting for many of the most common opportunities in picture taking.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the camera!

Last edited:

skene

is there an adapter that will allow my d3100 to support this lens? id really like something to play around with while i save up for a nikkor.

First you would need to find out what mount is on the lens, then you can google to see if there is an adapter made for it. Otherwise, sell the lenses to get the "Dream" lens of your choice.