Nikor10-24mm for Washington DC trip?

Rick M

I am considering the 10-24 as my first substantial lens investment (currently have the 18-55 VR kit lens and the 55-200 VR) . We are traveling to DC and Gettysburg for vacation this summer and I'm looking for a wide angle for inside museums, architecture and landscapes. I'll have the 55-200 along for the ride as well (maybe upgraded to a 55-300 by then).

Any 10-24 user experiences in these settings?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeLewisPhotography

I have a sigma 10-20 for sale if interested...fantastic lens...perfect for what you want...ONLY reason I am selling is because i really don't need anything THAT wide, and I have a big one I'm saving for lol.

Mark E

I have the 10-24, and like the lens, but to be honest haven't used it that much. I tend to lean toward the long lenses. The 18-200 is one of my favorites. But to answer your question, the 10-24 is a great lens and would probally work great for what you plan.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have the Sigma as well and it is an excellent lens. The real question IMHO is what are the other lenses in your kit? I pair mine with the Nikkor 17-55 and it is a stellar combination.

Rick M

I'll have the 18-55 VR kit Lense and the 55-200 VR along with me. I'm looking for the 10-24 for architecture, landscapes and inside the museums. My goal follows along Ken Rockwells' suggestion for Nikon dx being the 10-24, 35 1.8 and 55-200 (he may have published that prior to the 55-300 being available).

So my ultimate goals are as follows (All dx nikons) The 10-24, 35 1.8, 55-300. After those I will be looking for a final general purpose zoom (something in the range of the 18-105, but with a better build quality). So far I have not found exactly what I want in that catagory, but that purchase is probubly not till next year so maybe something new will come out. I liked the 16-85 and 18-200 but reviews are mixed and they seem to compromise at each end.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You saw my blog post with the interior shots in Rome. I would highly recommend the lens for taking the pics you'll be wanting to take.

Here's another one I took with it in Chartres France:
DSC_0400%20copy.jpg

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 10.0
Focal Length: 14mm

Rick M

Very Nice jdeg. Have you used this lens with the on-board flash?, wondering if there will be any lens shadowing.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I have, but the results aren't outstanding or anything. If you're around 10-14mm you will get a shadow, yes.

Mark E

I find if you remove the lens hood, the shadow goes away. That is not unique to this lens, but every lens I have does the same.

Correction: Upon double checking my comment, I find that the shadow is present at 10MM even with the hood removed. Sorry for the incorrect info. ME

Last edited: