Timelapse using Nikon D5200

WayneF

The D5200 already has a fine Interval Timer, see your manual (page 38, or Table of Contents, bottom of page 1).

With software, you can make a time lapse movie from those frames, but I don't think movie mode on D5200 has direct time lapse.

super

wait..if this feature is available in D5200 then I don't need to buy Intervalometer ? but what about movie mode ? if it is not available then I should buy Intervalometer? sorry I am confused ?

WayneF

wait..if this feature is available in D5200 then I don't need to buy Intervalometer ? but what about movie mode ? if it is not available then I should buy Intervalometer? sorry I am confused ?

Right, interval timer is already in the D5200. You don't have movie mode time lapse, but the addon accessory cannot add that either, it can only duplicate what you already have.

You will need software to make a movie from the still frames. The free Windows Movie Maker will do it (however I don't know if it has added HD yet or not?)
Something like Cyberlink PowerDirector would do it better.

Here is one shot with the same Interval Timer (on a D300), and assembled in Windows Movie Maker... (Movie Maker was not HD at that time).
This is every 30 minutes over 48 hours... the two flashes are morning sun in a window.

Last edited:

SteveL54

You can also use miniature in special effects, although it gives everything a "cartoonish" look. I have a few videos using this from my D5100 over in the video forum.

super

You can also use miniature in special effects, although it gives everything a "cartoonish" look. I have a few videos using this from my D5100 over in the video forum.

Looks nice !

For the hudson river, do you recall, for how much time you set the camera to records and what was the time interval ?

SteveL54

No need to set the interval. Just switch over to the miniature effect, and start the video. It's easy as that. When you have had enough, just turn the video off.

super

I am just asking because if I do not want to do miniature effect and if I want to do the normal mode timelapse for clouds or something.. what is the good time interval settings and time period for which I should keep shooting?

SteveL54

Every situation is different. Pick a starting point like you would take a picture. Nice sunny day would be ISO 100 f/16 1/100. take a shot every 10 sec. and adjust from there. There are a number of free programs out there to take these images an stack them.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon to explain this much better that I can.

Most time lapse is run at 30 frames (photos) per second. This gives it a smooth look when played back. Decide how long you want the final time lapse movie to be. Then how much time you want the time lapse to cover (1 hour, 2 hours etc) then you can calculate what the interval should be. Here is one I did a while back with a D5100 and put together in Cyberlink PowerDirector using their slide show maker. It has a mode just for time lapse and does a great job.

Here is a link to the time lapse. I shot and used around 6,000 shots to produce this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFry8kJC3yo

Remember it will take 30 photos to equal 1 sec of the final movie.