HELP: Studio reciever/trigger jams my nikon d7000 setting

raymondcauilan

I am always on a manual mode and using a studio light, anyone has experienced this? when i shoot I sometimes i encounter this. my pop up flash opens, shutter speed, iso, aperture settings changed also. I also encountered this with other brand of receiver/trigger. transceiver i used is the YNRF603N I hope u can help me.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am always on a manual mode and using a studio light, anyone has experienced this? when i shoot I sometimes i encounter this. my pop up flash opens, shutter speed, iso, aperture settings changed also. I also encountered this with other brand of receiver/trigger. transceiver i used is the YNRF603N I hope u can help me.

Upload an image so that we can have a better idea on the exif data. You are not using auto ISO are you?

dukatum

I am with a RF-603N and it works a treat, but I don't think it's likely to be the cause behind the flash popping up as that's controlled by your camera and not the transceivers.
It's good you are on manual mode in studio, anything else wouldn't be wise because you'll either break your sync speed (being in A mode), or you have no control over your aperture (in S mode).

Maybe it's worth resetting all your settings on the camera, then do some tests with and without the 603 attached.

Mike D90

Go into your settings and set your internal (Built In) flash mode to Manual instead of TTL. The camera is trying to use its own flash to get proper exposure.

fotojack

I'm betting your ISO is set to Auto. If so, turn it off if you're shooting Manual. You want to be able to set the ISO yourself and not let the camera do it for you.

If you PM me your email address, I can send you a Setup Guide for your D7000.

raymondcauilan

I am with a RF-603N and it works a treat, but I don't think it's likely to be the cause behind the flash popping up as that's controlled by your camera and not the transceivers.
It's good you are on manual mode in studio, anything else wouldn't be wise because you'll either break your sync speed (being in A mode), or you have no control over your aperture (in S mode).

Maybe it's worth resetting all your settings on the camera, then do some tests with and without the 603 attached.

i will try resetting all the settings. the settings didn't change when not using the rf603n

WayneF

I don't understand all of your description, but by "manual mode", do you mean flash manual mode, or camera manual mode?

What is the camera mode, A, S, P, M, or Auto?

If your popup flash opens, you are in camera Auto mode (or a scene mode), which is a no-no with manual flash.
The popup opens, and it will select Auto ISO, which makes it impossible to set any manual flash level.

With studio flash, you want to be in camera M mode. M as in A, S, P, or M. And Auto ISO to OFF.

I have not heard those specific words.

If the camera is in M mode (and if not in any bracket mode), the camera settings will not change, and the pop up will not open.

Last edited:

raymondcauilan

I don't understand all of your description, but by "manual mode", do you mean flash manual mode, or camera manual mode?

What is the camera mode, A, S, P, M, or Auto?

If your popup flash opens, you are in camera Auto mode (or a scene mode), which is a no-no with manual flash.
The popup opens, and it will select Auto ISO, which makes it impossible to set any manual flash level.

With studio flash, you want to be in camera M mode. M as in A, S, P, or M. And Auto ISO to OFF.

I have not heard those specific words.

If the camera is in M mode (and if not in any bracket mode), the camera settings will not change, and the pop up will not open.

hi my camera is in manual mode (M) and I use a YNRF603N to trigger my studio lights. the problem is sometimes in the middle of the shoot my pop up flash opens even the YNRF603N is still attached to the camera and it makes some weird settings like a change in ISO, aperture, shutter speed.

what do u mean by bracket mode? this will most likely happen if i accidentally pressed the BKT button?

WayneF

And it is still in camera M mode then? The dial wheel was not accidentally rotated away from M?

Camera mode M ought not to allow anything to change, except that bracketing will do it. Bracketing makes each of the next few shots vary exposure, according to the options selected. There are several options for bracketing, and it has a menu, see bracketing in the manual (D7000 page 109). Holding the bracket button lets the Command wheel change the number of shots to be bracketed, shown on the top LCD. To turn bracketing off, it should say zero shots. If not zero, you'll get strange results.