D5000 burst problem

AlexKV

Hello guys... and ladies... I'm new on this forum. My name is Alex and i'm photography student in Serbia.

I remember when i bought my D5000, it could burst more than 10 images in succession without getting slower than 4fps. When selected only JPEG, it could burst more than 15-20 (never tried more), but I've read that it can burst 100 images without slowing down.
And after 3 years and 60k images, i tried the same thing, but... no matter if I choose RAW+Fine, only RAW, only JPEG, EVEN small Basic JPEG, it only bursts 4 images, do the 5th a little slower, and then completely slows down, to about 1 image per 2 seconds.
I know that the card has to be fast and I have Toshiba class 10 which is tested and is actually fast, but this seems like a buffer memory problem, which never occurred before. Have anyone experienced the same thing?? It really shouldn't get slow on Basic jpeg after only 4 frames. :(

nickt

Have you tried another card? If you don't have another card, format the card you have.
Just the other day member [MENTION=13090]Horoscope Fish[/MENTION] brought up a good point... In-camera format is a quick format and may not cure some problems. If you have a suspect card, format it in your computer. Do a FULL format, not a 'quick' format. Then format it again in camera. If the camera is still slow, try a new card.

Its probably worth a try to reset your camera too.

AlexKV

I've been trying another card, and formatted both of them, but nothing helps. And I think it's not the card that is causing the problem because those burst shots first go to buffer memory (which is not working well).

And yeah, it's probably worth a shot to reset the camera completely, I'll try and tell you the result.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Welcome Alex, and I hope a reset resolves your cameras buffer problem.

I edited this because I just thought of something. Could it be that you shooting so many shots in quick succession may have run your battery down? Maybe you actually need a new battery. They gradually lose their ability to hold a full charge. Sounds like you do a lot of shooting, so check that out.

Last edited:

AlexKV

@sonicbuffalo: I also suspected on battery, and I'm charging it right now to see if anything will happen. And yeah, they do degrade, maybe that could be a problem. We'll see...

AlexKV

Just charged the battery and tested. There is a noticeable difference.
Before charging, there were 4 continuous frames which sometimes would lag a little bit, and 5th frame was lagging even more, and if hold the shutter button longer, it was shooting 1 image per 2 sec.
- After charging, there were 5 continuous frames and all were a bit faster, but after 5th frame, it again hits the wall...
Next thing is a full reset, stay tuned. :)

AlexKV

After the two button settings reset, nothing happened, except that I have to set up everything again..
After hard reset, pushing the small reset button located near memory card slot, it seems that it made a little difference, now it can burst 7-8 SMALL BASIC JPEGs, but is still blocking after 5 shots with bigger files. :(

AlexKV

Can any of you D5000 owners try one thing.
When looking through viewfinder, and half-press shutter button, what number is shown in the lower right corner through viewfinder?
That number is displaying only when you half-press shutter button, in the location where number of shots left or ISO is displayed.
And if you can, try it with RAW+F and basic JPG.
Sorry for bothering and thank you!
WP_20140515.jpg

sonicbuffalo_RIP

keep in mind...a D5000 is not going to have a bug buffer...they just don't. You'll get more bursts with your settings to jpeg normal or small than fine, or raw. I do't own a 5000, but used to have a 5100. Hope this helps.

AlexKV

Hello all.
Today I discovered something.
First I tested my camera burst mode again, and it was like before, only 5 frames.
But mistically, after putting on Sigma 70-300 AF (so no autofocus on D5000) it started bursting waay more images like it should! :)
After that, I put on Nikon 35mm lens which was an AF-S model like 18-55 one that was installed in first place.
So finally, found out the problem, it's not the camera's fault. :)

By the way, don't get it wrong, all of this has nothing to do with camera settings like shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc...
Simply, those extra electric connection pins on AF-S lenses have something to do with that.