Bird taking off...

eummagic

Hello all,
This is my first post in this section and waited long enough to post a suitable photograph. I have taken 3 different snaps of the bird taking off and merged using photoshop to create this effect. Your valuable comments pls...

Bird Flight.jpg

Joseph Bautsch

Yes that's a really neat shot. Very good creative thinking. What settings did you use on the camera? Post the EXIF data for us. It would be interesting to see how you got the exposures. I presume you used the high speed shutter release? I would suggest a different cropping that might improve the composition. Move the bird down into the bottom third and over toward the right third of the shot. That applies the rule of thirds. It eliminates a lot of the empty space in the foreground and moving the bird to the right gives it more of a since of flying into the picture. I took the liberty of doing the suggested re-cropping as an example.

Bird Flight.jpg

eummagic

Yes that's a really neat shot. Very good creative thinking. What settings did you use on the camera? Post the EXIF data for us. It would be interesting to see how you got the exposures. I presume you used the high speed shutter release? I would suggest a different cropping that might improve the composition. Move the bird down into the bottom third and over toward the right third of the shot. That applies the rule of thirds. It eliminates a lot of the empty space in the foreground and moving the bird to the right gives it more of a since of flying into the picture. I took the liberty of doing the suggested re-cropping as an example.
Thanks Joseph, your magic touch brings life to my photo...I will definitely keep your idea in mind while composing...

Here are the EXIF data...
Program: Manual
Aperture: f5.6
Shutter: 1/320"
ISO: 100
White Balance: Auto
Focal Length: 300mm
Exposure Bias: +1.3
Metering Mode: Centre Weighted

Joseph Bautsch

You shot this in Manual mode. Most photographers would have used Aperture Priority or maybe Shutter Priority to arrive at the exposure. Just curious how do you arrive at the exposure setting in Manual? I always use the Analog Exposure Display in the view finder to set the exposure. Over the years I've found with nature shots you often have to take the shot the bird or other animal gives you. The shot is often fleeting and you don't really have time to worry over the composition. In this case after merging the three shots there was enough room around the bird taking off to re-crop and improve the composition in post processing. Good shooting.

eummagic

You shot this in Manual mode. Most photographers would have used Aperture Priority or maybe Shutter Priority to arrive at the exposure. Just curious how do you arrive at the exposure setting in Manual? I always use the Analog Exposure Display in the view finder to set the exposure. Over the years I've found with nature shots you often have to take the shot the bird or other animal gives you. The shot is often fleeting and you don't really have time to worry over the composition. In this case after merging the three shots there was enough room around the bird taking off to re-crop and improve the composition in post processing. Good shooting.
Frankly, I do want to shoot it in Aperture mode but as I had set the camera in Manual and just don't want to miss the shot.