New to Nikon

onebadstang08

Pardon my ignorance but i am new to Nikon. Decided to move up from the ole Kodak point and shoot.
How to i transfer the pics from the camera to the desk-top computer? It must be a different process than i use for
my Kodak.
I have a memory card in the camera but i am not sure the pics i am taking are being saved to the card or the internal memory of the camera.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

:confused::confused::confused:

pedroj

Welcome to the forum..

I don't think there is internal memory..There isn't in mine....I usually use a card reader to transfer images from camera to PC...

FastGlass

No there is not an internal memory. Most computers have a slot to put the card you have in your camera into. The camera, if bought new most likely came with software. You can also use a cord from the camera to computer to transfer images. Or the best way is to use a card reader. Either way, as soon as you attempt to transfer images your computer should recognize what your wanting to do and guild you through it.

aroy

There are two methods of transferring images
. Using a USB cable from camera to the computer. This is supplied with the camera. In case it is missing, just buy a compatible cable. Normally most of the operating systems recognize the camera as an external device. If after connecting the cable it does not, then just load the View NX-2 software that comes with the camera. Once installed all the relevant drivers will be loaded and the camera recognized.
. Using a card reader. In case you have a card reader that accepts SD cards, just connect the card reader to the computer and insert the SD card. The reader will be shown as an external disk. Copy images as you would from a disk.

You can also use View NX-2 to transfer images. Connect the camera to the computer and start View NX-2. It should recognize the camera and then use the menu options to transfer the images.

Note when transferring the images, ensure that the camera power is on.

I personally prefer the first option, as, one, I do not have to take the card out and, two, I like to know exactly what is going on, rather than depending on a software to copy for me (and decide where to).

FastGlass

all the points you have asked are clearly explained in the manual.
Probably about 3/4 of the questions asked can be answered by reading the manual. But the answers in some manuals don't explain things the best way. Plus allot of people for some reason don't like to read the most important information packed with a new camera. THE MANUAL.

Englischdude

Probably about 3/4 of the questions asked can be answered by reading the manual. But the answers in some manuals don't explain things the best way. Plus allot of people for some reason don't like to read the most important information packed with a new camera. THE MANUAL.

hi fastglass,

please dont understand me wrong, I will try to get to front of the line when it comes to offering support, and I agree with you, that many questions asked on this forum can be explained by the manual, however my answer relates to the specific questions asked by the original poster. Obviously by the nature of the questions the poster is really starting from scratch, at this point the manual is unavoidable. The questions asked here can be best explained by the manual with the accompanying illustrations and diagrams of SD card slot, connection for USB cables etc.

@onebadstang08 my original post my have come over as being a little direct, if that is the case I sincerely apologise. I simply want to point out that you need to cover the basic stuff with the manual and tutorial vids for example.

onebadstang08

Thanks for all the replies. I have ordered a card reader. I understand about reading the manual but the reason for the question is that i thought i was missing something. I began by installing View NS-2 and it kept trying to locate the driver but was unsuccessful every time. When i connect the camera and open View NX-2 and click "Start Transfer" nothing happens so that is why i asked the question. I thought i was missing something. Thank you all again for your replies.

FastGlass

hi fastglass,

please dont understand me wrong, I will try to get to front of the line when it comes to offering support, and I agree with you, that many questions asked on this forum can be explained by the manual, however my answer relates to the specific questions asked by the original poster. Obviously by the nature of the questions the poster is really starting from scratch, at this point the manual is unavoidable. The questions asked here can be best explained by the manual with the accompanying illustrations and diagrams of SD card slot, connection for USB cables etc.

@onebadstang08 my original post my have come over as being a little direct, if that is the case I sincerely apologise. I simply want to point out that you need to cover the basic stuff with the manual and tutorial vids for example.
I didn't at all see your reply as being to direct. I happen to agree with you. I hope my reply didn't seem as an attack towards what you said. I just think allot of questions can be answered simply if the one asking looks a little deeper.

Eyelight

It usually takes a moment for the camera to appear in the Transfer window at location indicated by the red mark in screen capture below. Click on the camera and the images on the camera will show in the lower window where the blue mark is in image below.

Transfer.JPG

onebadstang08

Ok so i finally got the pics on the computer by inserting the memory card in the computer slot and transferring them. Now i realized i took them all in RAW and they are pretty much useless in that format (i think). How do i convert them to JPEG so something more useful. I searched "RAW to JPEG conversions" and found some programs but there is a fee for them. There must be a program i can use that doesn't cost so much. Maybe there is one already on my computer and i am just unaware of it. I have windows Vista.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Hopefully one day i will figure it out and be able to repay with helpful advice.

Eyelight

Ok so i finally got the pics on the computer by inserting the memory card in the computer slot and transferring them. Now i realized i took them all in RAW and they are pretty much useless in that format (i think). How do i convert them to JPEG so something more useful. I searched "RAW to JPEG conversions" and found some programs but there is a fee for them. There must be a program i can use that doesn't cost so much. Maybe there is one already on my computer and i am just unaware of it. I have windows Vista.
Thanks again for everyone's help. Hopefully one day i will figure it out and be able to repay with helpful advice.

ViewNX 2

aroy

Apart from reading the manual, the most important thing is to find out what all is supplied with camera, and where that is used. I would also recommend for those buying pre owned cameras, to go to the manufacturer's site and make a list of what all is supplied with the camera, so that when they buy, they know what is missing, and if required get it (or factor in the price of missing product into their purchase price).