D610's Are Backordered

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Both Adorama and B & H D610's are on backorder. Adorama can't give a time frame while B & H's website says they should get them in by May 12th. I'll betcha they are trying to take care of the D600 users who are seeking replacement cameras. What do you guys think?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Both Adorama and B & H D610's are on backorder. Adorama can't give a time frame while B & H's website says they should get them in by May 12th. I'll betcha they are trying to take care of the D600 users who are seeking replacement cameras. What do you guys think?

According to reports, Nikon was replacing D600's with D610's but nothing specific was mentioned as to how they would do it. Nikon issued me a refund via check so I was able to buy whatever I wanted (which happened to be the D610). Now with the replacements being more common, are people receiving their D610's directly from Nikon or possibly receiving a voucher to obtain one from a dealer?

BackdoorArts

Or they're just on backorder. Who knows? With the backlash against the D600's the idea that the D610 might be a hit was likely not something Nikon was willing to bet an overload of bodies on. These things happen, production runs are scheduled and demand outgrew supply. I see no reason to read too much into it. Sure, bodies could have been diverted based on the D600 repairs. In a situation such as this shouldn't it be the current customers who get taken care of first, so even if there are bodies sitting in service centers that's the way it should be.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Sure....I agree that it should be first come, first served....just strange that Nikon would run out of 610's to some of their top stores in the country.

BackdoorArts

Again, initial runs may have been estimated to last a certain length of time with the idea of using the outflow to gauge future demand. If the big places are out then you can be sure that just about everyone is out, including Nikon.

BackdoorArts

Toys 'R Us seemed to run out of Tickle Me Elmo dolls at some point as well.

Would be stranger to me if Nikon had manufactured to exceed the current demand given that they had no way of assessing whether or not the damage done by the D600 incident would have killed the desire for them. Always better to be on the short side of this curve, particularly given that this is more an upgrade than an entry level item (i.e. you're making DX owners wait, not necessarily Canon owners).

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I guess you're right Jake....you know how it is, today's society is I want it NOW! eck, I might have to wait and see what camera comes out next to top the 610. That might be smarter....I can definitely live with the 7100, but I have it sold if I decide to sell it. I just hate having to tell him I must wait until Nikon gets the 610's built before I sell the 7100. Maybe I'll keep both when the 610 shows up.

Fortkentdad

Bought a D610 on Saturday in Edmonton at Don's Photo - smaller Canadian chain. Bought the last one he had in stock. It had been demo'd and I was getting a price match discount so went for it. Didn't know there was a shortage.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

My 610 is supposed to be here tommorow...having never done business with this company, have to check and make sure it's not gray market version. If it is, it's going back...here's hoping it's the US version.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My 610 is supposed to be here tommorow...having never done business with this company, have to check and make sure it's not gray market version. If it is, it's going back...here's hoping it's the US version.

If it is a US camera, you might want to consider some type of extended warranty because you will LOVE what the D610 can do! :) Hope it works out for you!