Selling D3200 but not sure what price to sell for.

Iron lung

I have decided to sell my D3200 as its just not up to the standards that I want. So I shall put the cash I make from it towards a better camera but Im not sure how much to sell it for. So here is the inventory that I am selling as a package. How much do you guys think I should sell it for?

Inventory:
Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm kit lens
Cokin filter kit
Cokin ND8
Cokin ND4
Cokin sunset/rise filter
Cokin polariser
Jessops circular UV filter
Jessops circular polariser
Hoya circular polariser (never used)
Dura gadget camera bag
2 years left on warranty.
Manfrotto tripod

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
You might make more money by selling the items separately or at least by breaking them down into smaller packages. It will be very difficult to find someone willing to pay top dollar for everything because you may have a lot of things they don't want or need. Look on ebay for completed listings to see how much some of these items sold for in the past.

weebee

Unless you're getting out of the hobby completely then I would consider just selling the camera and lenses. The other items may come in handy with your new camera. If you sell it all, then you're starting from scratch again. Unless, of course, that is your intention.

PapaST

If you're going the ebay route then I would list it for EUR 1.00 and let the market fight over it. Looking at the postings that jdeg supplied there are plenty of people bidding on these cameras so you can bet it will make fair market value or more. One trick you might try, find a day where 3 or 4 D3200 are ending. Place yours to end after the ones listed. All the losing bidders of the D3200 before yours will likely go down the line to the next available one to try and purchase. Could bode well for yours.

I don't think you'd get as much selling all together as you would get selling them separate.

aroy

Before selling the filters, check whether they will fit the canon lenses you want. Most of the filter sizes are standard and fit lenses from all manufacturers. The kit 18-55 uses 52mm filter which is one of the most used sizes.

One thing I cannot fathom out is how will, selling a 24MP camera and buying an 18MP one, solve your problems. You may get better high ISO response but you are trading higher resolution and better DR for lower resolution and lower DR. Unless you have an free access to L telephotos lenses it makes no sense.

Iron lung

Yes way to go..Canon will fix YOUR problem....

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, MY problem is not with Nikon it is with the image quality of the d3200 close up. When I take a photo of a landscape and zoom in just a little. There is no detail quality in the grass or other small objects. You may settle for this if you want but I won't. If this is such a great 24 MP camera then where is all the detail. Where as I have lots of photos from a 8mp and 16 MP camera that have better detail than the d3200.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, MY problem is not with Nikon it is with the image quality of the d3200 close up. When I take a photo of a landscape and zoom in just a little. There is no detail quality in the grass or other small objects. You may settle for this if you want but I won't. If this is such a great 24 MP camera then where is all the detail. Where as I have lots of photos from a 8mp and 16 MP camera that have better detail than the d3200.

Detail comes not so much from the camera body, as most bodies nowadays have pretty good quality (with the exception of Canon, which really blows chunks), but from your glass. It has been said over and over to invest in good glass instead of a camera body. Save your pennies and buy a really decent lens. Do your research and check this out. Good luck, but with Canon, their lower end models even feel cheap. Ask me, my son has one, although I tried to get him to see the light too. Here's a picture taken with my old D5100 that shows good detail with close range. Check out the bokeh in this image taken with an inexpensive lens.

DSC_1105_1370.jpg

Last edited:

SteveH

I second @sonicbuffalo

Before throwing in the towel, get your hands on a 35mm or 50mm prime - Even take your camera to a shop to test out a lens. Take a few shots at F4 - F8 and then go home and pixel peep.... It's all in the glass, and more megapixels means more demand for good glass.

aroy

I think my reply was "misplaced" I cannot find it. Here it goes again

I can understand your concern. You were getting beautiful details with the 7MP and 16MP cameras, but now with 24MP you are not seeing more. You should consider that as the sensor resolution goes up, so must the lens's resolution. An indifferent kit lens which showed details at 7Mp may not be upto it with 24MP. The current kit 18-55 VR-II supplied with D3300 is way ahead of the original 18-55. It is sharper and has better micro contrast.

Coming back to your problem. You need better glass. If the sharpness and detail of a 7MP sensor are to be there in 24Mp sensor then
. The sharpness has to be doubled
. The micro contrast has to be doubled
. Distortion halved

In short the lense has to be ahead of the sensor and not behind it. There are many lens which are extremely sharp, have great micro contrast and in genera whose images just "Pop Up". Unfortunately most of then cost an arm and a leg. You want excellent details and micro contrast go get the Zeiss Otus 55mm. You will get all your $4,000/ worth. On the more affordable side you can try the Sigma Art series. Both their 35mm and 50mm are way better than the corresponding Nikon offerings, but even here you are talking of $600-1000 range.

If you want extremely low cost solution get the Nikon 50mm F1.8D. It is only $100, but at F5.6-F8 rivals many extremely expensive lens in IQ. I would suggest that you invest the hundred dollars to buy this lens.
. Set up you D3200 on a heavy stable tripod.
. Set the ISO to 100 or 200 (they have essentially same noise).
. Set the aperture to F8.
. Shoot your favorite scene. Use ND filter to increase the exposure time if needed.
. Now if you have an older camera, do the same sequence with it.
. Capture in RAW.

Now open up the RAW files in the software you use. I would suggest that you use View NX-2, as it will give the best colour and lense distortion works. Check the details and if you had the older camera compare the details.

If you are still not satisfied, then rent a Canon and perform the same sequence. Check the details. If you like the Canon details better, go for it, but I still cannot figure out how an 18MP sensor will have more detail than a 24MP sensor. Colours - may be, ISO noise - maybe, resolution - not at all.

pedroj

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, MY problem is not with Nikon it is with the image quality of the d3200 close up. When I take a photo of a landscape and zoom in just a little. There is no detail quality in the grass or other small objects.

[You may settle for this if you want but I won't]

. If this is such a great 24 MP camera then where is all the detail. Where as I have lots of photos from a 8mp and 16 MP camera that have better detail than the d3200.

If I have a problem I find out if I'm at fault or if it's my camera...You came on here asking for advice and it seems you ignore it all...

Hey buddy go buy your canon, who really cares

Iron lung

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean I am definitely going to canon I am just weighing up all options. I'm now toying with the idea of saving up for the D800. I guess the point I'm trying to put a cross is I now want to step up past the entry level cameras. This thread kind of got out of control. I understand that yes with a 24mp can you need good glass but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on glass for an entry level camera, do you see where I'm coming from.

SteveH

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean I am definitely going to canon I am just weighing up all options. I'm now toying with the idea of saving up for the D800. I guess the point I'm trying to put a cross is I now want to step up past the entry level cameras. This thread kind of got out of control. I understand that yes with a 24mp can you need good glass but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on glass for an entry level camera, do you see where I'm coming from.

Buying glass that is FX compatible now will let you use them on your D3200, learn more as you go, and then move to DXXX when you are ready?

I think if you sell your D3200, buy a D800 + lens, you may still be disappointed if your technique isn't there yet. You don't need a £1000 lens to take good pictures, try a £150-ish prime.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

If you don't want to be spending an arm and a leg, then use what you have and stop looking for better equipment. Take pictures and find a way to produce better rests with what you already own. In your case, I'd look more into some good sharpening tutorials with LR5 or PS.

carguy

I have decided to sell my D3200 as its just not up to the standards that I want. So I shall put the cash I make from it towards a better camera but Im not sure how much to sell it for. So here is the inventory that I am selling as a package. How much do you guys think I should sell it for?

Inventory:
Nikon D3200 with 18-55mm kit lens
Cokin filter kit
Cokin ND8
Cokin ND4
Cokin sunset/rise filter
Cokin polariser
Jessops circular UV filter
Jessops circular polariser
Hoya circular polariser (never used)
Dura gadget camera bag
2 years left on warranty.
Manfrotto tripod

I suggest splitting it up for best results. Start by searching COMPLETED ebay listings for like items. That is a great gauge.

If you have any ebay questions, let me know :)