Camera destroyed!

Browncoat

The kids and I are temporarily living with my parents until May, when we will be moving into a new house. There was a downpour of rain in this area Sunday night and I was awakened at 5:00am by my dog. There was about 8" of water in the basement where I was sleeping. Among the items destroyed by water damage was most of my camera gear: D90, 3 lenses, and my brand new PocketWizards.

My new lighting gear was up on stands, so they should be okay...though I haven't had enough time to test them yet. We spent about 15 hours yesterday cleaning up the mess, so I've been a bit busy. The insurance adjuster is supposed to be here this morning, so hopefully that will go well. At any rate, I am out of commission for awhile.

fotojack

awww man! :( That sucks, Tony. Hope all goes well with the insurance adjuster. Just be thankful that was all that got damaged, and no one in your family was hurt. I wish you well, bud.

I hope your new house is on higher ground. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm so sorry, Anthony! Thank goodness everyone is alright. Wishing you best of luck dealing with the insurance company.

Joseph Bautsch

Ouch, that hurts. So sorry for your loss. How was the equipment insured? Hope it was listed on a homeowners rider with replacement cost value and little or no deductible. Otherwise the homeowners deductible will apply and coverage may be limited on personal property away from the premises.

johnwartjr

Ouch, it hurts just to read that!

My aunt lost her entire studio years ago to a '100 year flood' that came to town. The negatives from my wedding, and countless other clients, were lost, but all the digital content was saved.

Hopefully, you have backups of your images and the gear can be replaced.

I'm glad that everyone is OK!

Browncoat

Everything will be insured under the "contents" portion of the policy. I will be taking a field trip to the camera store tomorrow to completely deplete my bank account and replace everything...or at least as much as I can. I can't afford to wait 2 weeks for the check from the insurance company. The good news is, it's just "stuff". No one was hurt, and as much as it sucks to deal with, everything can be replaced. We've cleaned up the basement, gotten rid of all the damaged items, and have started putting things back.

I just wish my professor would call me back about being able to make up my work. While it seems like a minor thing at this point, I don't like the idea of a 3.8GPA being in jeopardy. Kappa Pi (national honorary art fraternity) and the National Art Honor Society just sent me applications. Oh, the timing LOL!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I will be taking a field trip to the camera store tomorrow to completely deplete my bank account and replace everything...or at least as much as I can.

Is there something we can help you with? I have 3 pocketwizards I could loan you . . . don't think I'll be using them in the next 2 weeks.
Would even loan you one of my SB-900's.
Let me know.

Congratulations on the great gpa!

Browncoat

Will be going to Candyland (aka the camera store) today to get new gear. I might just upgrade my now water-logged D90 to a D300s...seems like a logical transition to make. I estimated my loss to be in the $6000 range, and according to my online window shopping, that was very close. I might lose a few misc items in the upgrade, but in the end, I think it will be worth it.