S2700 - 64GB card reporting only 8 mins video capacity ?????

webbyfoot

I'm hoping this is a known issue that can be resolved without returning the camera.

Recently purchased a Coolpix S2700 in Hungary, I had a 16GB card but was surprised that it only allowed me to film clips totalling 30 mins or so, when from the manual it sememed I should get around an hour from that size card even with the huge MJPEG files at 720.

So I got a Kingston 64GB Class 10 microSDXC with an adapter, and though the available image count is over the top (reporting 9999) the avialba;le video recording time at 720 shows only 8 minutes?????

I rang Nikon who only said 'oh it's an unsupported card' and 'oh, but it's probably a fault with the adapter' but as it shows the capacity foir stills at 9999 surely it must be reading the capacity of the card at least well enough for far in excess of 8 mins!

Any help appreciated!

EDIT - I do note that around 8 mins is the max for one clip at 720 - but surely the remaining video space should report the total space, not the allowed duration of one clip?

Last edited:

rocketman122

I'm hoping this is a known issue that can be resolved without returning the camera.

Recently purchased a Coolpix S2700 in Hungary, I had a 16GB card but was surprised that it only allowed me to film clips totalling 30 mins or so, when from the manual it sememed I should get around an hour from that size card even with the huge MJPEG files at 720.

So I got a Kingston 64GB Class 10 microSDXC with an adapter, and though the available image count is over the top (reporting 9999) the avialba;le video recording time at 720 shows only 8 minutes?????

I rang Nikon who only said 'oh it's an unsupported card' and 'oh, but it's probably a fault with the adapter' but as it shows the capacity foir stills at 9999 surely it must be reading the capacity of the card at least well enough for far in excess of 8 mins!

Any help appreciated!

EDIT - I do note that around 8 mins is the max for one clip at 720 - but surely the remaining video space should report the total space, not the allowed duration of one clip?

did you try formatting the card through a pc/mac?
maybe its a counterfeit card..?
maybe try running through a test?
How to Check Memory Card And Pen drive is Original or Fake | Computrogeek

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe check if there wouldn't be updates that could improve your Coolpix. Sometimes Nikon issues camera updates just for cases like yours.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

Any help appreciated!

Video files varies with camera models and depending on the mode that you use.

There is a possibility that this particular camera has a 8 minute limit at 720p. You can verify that with your owner's manual.

The info on your memory card will not display the total number of video clips remaining unlike still images.

Generally, the longest continuous video clip that you can create is less than 30 minutes. That is a firmware limitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn, is that you in the picture? you look like some ceo for a high tech company like oracle or something..NICE! I like it!

Yes and thank you. My version of a selfie using a remote control. :) I used my studio equipment to create a business profile.

In a few months, I will be ruling the world!
;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketman122

Ill be your right hand man. anyone stands in your way, you look at me, give me the nod and Ill take them to the back room..slowly, well get there...hahaha!