Lens filter reccommendation

JRam

• Current Camera Set-up
    • Body: Nikon D5100
    • Lens: [h=1]AF-S NIKKOR
      24-70mm f/2.8G ED[/h]
  • Objective
    • I'm shooting outdoors, and I'm looking for a filter to really enhance the blues in my subject, specifically the sky. Any possible recommendations?

Scott Murray

• Current Camera Set-up
    • Body: Nikon D5100
    • Lens: AF-S NIKKOR
      24-70mm f/2.8G ED
  • Objective
    • I'm shooting outdoors, and I'm looking for a filter to really enhance the blues in my subject, specifically the sky. Any possible recommendations?
What you need is a circular polarising filter.

nickt

Since you are new, I'll mention to check out the picture control settings in your camera, maybe try 'Vivid' or tweak on your own a bit. Are you doing any post processing? You can add a little 'pop' there too. Not the same as a polarizing filter of course, but if you are new and thinking your pictures are a little blah, some post processing will help.

Horoscope Fish

I'd suggest the Hoya HD Circular Polarizer. The HD's are super easy to clean (vs. nearly every other brand of filter I've tried which are just about impossible to clean)... And I mean they're SUPER easy to clean. They're also made of significantly stronger glass ("Hardened optical glass that has 4 times the breaking strength in ANSI standardized testing (ANSI Z80.3 : 2001") and transmit 25% more light than traditional CPL's.

480sparky

Could you elaborate some more on what you mean? I'm new to photography.

The light is the sky is not all polarized the same amount. It's polarized the most 90° to the sun. Shoot too wide with a CPL and you start to get dark areas in the sky.

Without CPL:

NoFilter.jpg

With CPL:

WithFilter.jpg

singlerosa_RIP

Try Lightroom or Photoshop. It's easier to adjust things in post processing than to mess with filters. Unless you're trying to filter out something, like reflections on water (polarizer) or light (ND).

Nero

a8e9anu9.jpg

Thinking about these but it doesn't say HD plus if they're in a pack together, they're probably not that good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

SkvLTD

I'd really only get a CPL for shooting through glass/water on a sunny, sunny day. RAW can take care of the rest by adjust highlights and vibrancy.

Nero

What do you guys think? Could those filters be worth it even though they're not HD?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

480sparky

HD? Heavy Duty? Home Depot? Hard Drive? Heart Disease? Highway Department? Horizontal Decelerator? Heaven's Disciples? Hip Disarticulation?

Meaning: "HD" on the box is Madison Avenue gobbledegook. They could just as easily say Gluten Free.

Horoscope Fish

HD? Heavy Duty? Home Depot? Hard Drive? Heart Disease? Highway Department? Horizontal Decelerator? Heaven's Disciples? Hip Disarticulation?

Meaning: "HD" on the box is Madison Avenue gobbledegook. They could just as easily say Gluten Free.
Pretty sure the HD designation refers the hardened glass they use in the so-designated filters. According to Hoya, "Hoya HD camera filters feature a hardened optical glass that has 4 times the breaking strength in ANSI standardized testing (ANSI Z80.3 : 2001) where steel balls of varying size and weight were dropped from a height of 50 inches onto the glass."

fotojack

There's also the Tiffen brand of filters. I've never had a problem with either the Hoya or the Tiffen. Then there's the ND (Neutral Density) filters to do what you're looking to do. However, from the sound of things, you need a lot more experience under your belt before you start messing with ND filters. :) I'm not trying to be a smart ass or flippant here...it's just that it takes a bit more knowledge about shutter speeds, aperture and ISO settings.

While I'm at it....Welcome to the forum. :)

If you fill out your profile, we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile
We don't need your home address and phone number, but it's nice to know what part of the planet you're on, your experience level, camera gear used/wishing for, and what kind of photography you're interested in. :)
FAQ

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Become a Contributing Member