Tokina 11-16 pro dx vs pro dx II

WhiteLight

Been trying to see if there is a great difference between the two models that warrants close to $100 price difference?
The only difference I see -

a. focus motor
b. Better lens flaring control (which also seems to be very minimal)

The bodies are built the same way...
I don't really need the focus motor as I'll probably use this on the D7000

Is it true that lens that are focused using the inbuilt camera motors are slower?

It would be good to hear from users/owners of both models if there is any reason to go for the DXII instead of the first model.

Ps : DxO mark has given a slightly higher rating for quality across the range for the original model in comparison to the new one

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

I've always assumed it was the internal focus motor that accounts for the price difference. From what I can tell, lenses that have an internal focus motor tend, generally speaking, to be more expensive than comparable lenses that do not.

I have the DX version, but I've had opportunity to use both versions. I didn't notice any significant difference in overall AF speeds. I think some people look way too hard for things to complain about/analyze to death.

My Two Cent's:

• The Tok' 11-16mm f/2.8 DX is superb lens.
  • If you don't need the internal focus motor, don't pay for it.

WhiteLight

I've always assumed it was the internal focus motor that accounts for the price difference. From what I can tell, lenses that have an internal focus motor tend, generally speaking, to be more expensive than comparable lenses that do not.

I have the DX version, but I've had opportunity to use both versions. I didn't notice any significant difference in overall AF speeds. I think some people look way too hard for things to complain about/analyze to death.

My Two Cent's:

• The Tok' 11-16mm f/2.8 DX is superb lens.
  • If you don't need the internal focus motor, don't pay for it.

Perfect.. Thanks HF

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dickelfan

I'm currently renting an 11-16 original version and have it on my Nikon d7000. It seems to focus fine, and so far I am liking it, so will probably purchase one soon.

Geoffc

Is focus speed much of a concern with an ultra wide? I find most mountains and lakes don't move that fast!! I had the original lens and it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

run4fun

I'm currently renting an 11-16 original version and have it on my Nikon d7000. It seems to focus fine, and so far I am liking it, so will probably purchase one soon.

Any pics. you could share would be great. Would love to see the quality of the lens!

Fred Kingston

10451710_334120880073909_988472742233091362_n.jpg

This was taken with the Pro DX

dickelfan

This was my first time using a wide angle, and I only got to use it for a few days. Mainly got it to go take some shots of downtown Houston. I'm leaning toward getting one, because I would like to start dabbling in real estate photography and this lens could really come in handy. Here are a few pics.

houston.jpg

DSC_8183_-2_-3_fused.jpg

DSC_8248.jpg

DSC_8312.jpg

DSC_8323.jpg

DSC_8356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: