The jump from D3100 to D7100 - First Impressions

Pretzel

Well, the first 5 days are in the books. Aside from a lot of drool and "cool" factor, it's been a much different experience! I'll try to document some of my rediscovered rookie floundering here, and discuss a couple of the major differences. Remember, when reading this viewpoint, I was a VERY active shooter with my D3100, and I was VERY familiar with it. I could change settings with practically no thought/pause at all (except the durn exposure compensation, but that's another story), and figured that the only real difference would come in learning the extra features and a couple of extra dials... oops!

1) The D7100 is a primal beast! It was MADE for capturing quality images in the hands of a seasoned professional! Having said that, upgrade when you can, but... if you have a planned shoot shortly after the purchase/upgrade (wedding, portraits, etc.), going from anything less than a D7000 (or something else with professional controls) LEAVE IT AT HOME! I remember wishing that I'd be able to upgrade before 2nd shooting a wedding in June, and thinking "as long as I have at least a day to learn it, I'll be fine." Let's just say, I'm glad I got it over a month in advance. It's not so complicated as to render a photographer completely incapable of getting a shot, but it will not be intuitive. Under pressure, you WILL be frustrated. In fact, even after reading through a few pertinent sections of the manual and looking over a few quick tips/vids on the internet, I was still lost on the first couple of photo attempts. It. Is. Different. Be prepared!

2) The D7100 is a primal beast! (wait, didn't he just say that?) This isn't your entry level DSLR, but rather a magnesium alloy weather sealed frame. It's much larger (I'd guess around 25%) than the D3100 I was shooting, and weighs in about the same (about 25% heavier by estimation here as well). For me, it just fits my hand so much better, so that was pure joy the moment I had it in my hands. Just holding the body, though, and even with just the nifty fifty on it for a quick shoot, I didn't notice much difference other than fit, BUT... I was only holding it for a few quick shots. In the bag with all the other gear, it's noticeable. In the hand for extended periods of time, or with a heavier lens (my 70-300 vr for instance), the weight difference quickly becomes apparent. I've gotta go dig out my eagle claw grip trainers again! LOL At first, it was harder for me to get a steady handheld shot without the "shutter drop" (lens nose dive upon shutter release), but I've gotten used to it pretty quickly.

3) The viewfinder on the D7100 is... (you thought I was going to say "primal beast" again, didn't you? Wrong!) refined elegance. First, it's 40% larger, and for this guy in his mid 40's, that's a HUGE difference! Add in the brightness and clarity of the pentaprism (as opposed to pentamirror) viewfinder, and... you don't just hear the beep and see the focus achieved "dot" anymore. For me, well, I *felt* the focus lock. That's how I describe it. Where as before, I thought I could tell when things were in focus, but struggled with manually focusing from time to time, with this viewfinder... I can TELL. Manual focus is now a breeze when compared to my previous experience, and when the auto-focus locks in: BOOM, it's easy to see. For you younger folks, or those with incredible eyesight, this may not be a big deal, but I can honestly say that just the viewfinder difference alone has helped me, as a photographer, immensely!

4) The controls, once you get familiar with them: WOW! Just in manual mode alone, separate wheels/dials for shutter and aperture is a dream come true. Again, I was very familiar with my D3100, and I could swap to aperture control (button+dial) without a second thought in most cases, but the improvement and ease of a 2 dial setup is incredible. Then, with just a button press and dial, I'm setting ISO too! BONUS: Setting ISO in 1/3 stop increments instead of being forced to run a stop at a time!

5) Lens mount, incredible. I'm sure it's the weather sealing, but when you attach a lens to the D7100, it feels much more secure. I wasn't ever worried about my D3100, but there's just a more "solid" feel when attaching a lens to this new baby. Period. Plus, just knowing that it's sealed as opposed to NOT sealed... peace of mind.

6) The rear LCD is beautiful! And I say that without even having pulled off the protective film yet. In all of that in/out of the case and heavy use for a year and a half, I did absolutely zero damage to the D3100 LCD, but not taking off that film until I get the Vello glass cover for it. The difference in detail between the two LCD's is night and day.

7) Auto-focus - in 2 parts. First... 51 focus points vs. 11, 15 of those being cross-type vs. 1. Composition control! 'nuff said. Having said that, it also seems to focus faster in general. With the nifty fifty mounted, it wasn't so apparent, but slapping on the 70-300 VR, it was VERY noticeable! The D3100 didn't take long to focus with the 70-300, but would sometimes struggle/hunt when there was a bright glare and/or around twilight with my larger telephoto. It would lock in in most cases, but after an extreme sweep from one end of the focal range to the other. NOT so with the D7100. I have yet to shoot a pic at 300mm that the focus didn't snap in almost immediately!

8) The top LCD is a primal beast! (yup, I came back to that) Instant info in a simple "glance at" format. POOF! It's right there! Just being able to see how many more pics can be taken with the current memory is cool. The rest is butter. or gravy. or icing on the cake. Hell, it's just goodness, no matter what food comparison you use!

9) The shutter is... well, c'mon, there's no way I can professionally compare the shutters in any way that can't be done more technically or professionally (and has already been done) on the 'net, but I CAN comment on my perception. It just sounds more solid. The D3100 never really concerned me, and still works well, but... let's say you have an old Volkswagen Beetle, perfectly tuned - you can hear it purr and appreciate the skill behind the sound. Later in the day, though, you come across that old Camaro, with the 350 small block, true dual crossovers and a set of Flowmasters that gives it that rumbling chuckle. Put 'em both side by side, and just from sound alone, you can tell which is which, and which one means a bit more "business" than the other. THAT is the sound difference in the shutter. Plus, a max speed of 1/8000... nice.

10) And my last comment today: 24 friggin' megapixels! In the sizes I normally print, it doesn't make a lot of difference, but on a 27" iMac screen, the difference makes for PP giggles! Plus, as the wife goes through a phase of re-decoration, I know that 20x30's aren't going to be a problem. I seem to be able to pull a bit more out of the shadows, too, although I'm sure that's more to do with the dynamic range than just pure pixels.

...and that's it for now. Still SO MUCH MORE to test, like in-camera HDR, photo bracketing, night shots, off-camera flash, high speed flash sync, selective color, wireless shutter control, AF instead of AF-S lenses, 1.3x crop mode, video with stereo sound, multi-exposure mode, aww heck... I'll just admit it. There's still an untouched world to discover!

Author's note: (always wanted to type that) The D3100 is no slouch, and I have learned SO MUCH about photography with my 1st DSLR. It takes BEAUTIFUL pictures, has more than satisfied quite a few folks during family portrait sessions, was used during a very successful 2nd shooter gig during a wedding and more. Plus, the D3200 and D3300 have come out since then, which improve upon the "entry level" Nikon. Factor in the D5x00 series, and there are quite a few cameras that will allow you to "dive in" for less than the D7100 price point. Each of them is a GREAT camera. Period. At a minimum, 80% of great photography is the person, not the equipment, so if you are disappointed in starting with something "lesser", or feel trapped with an "inferior" body... don't. Jump in, learn the basics of ISO, shutter speed and aperture, and start taking GREAT pictures, and look at all the other photographers here that eclipse my skills with so called "lesser" cameras. If ya get the chance to jump in with, or upgrade to, the D7100... well, feel free! It's a lovely PRIMAL beast! Plus, rumor has it that the D7200 is coming out soon, and perhaps the D9300 (D300s upgrade?), so the NAS will continue forever... either way, heed the wise words of Crosby, Stills and Nash - "Love the one you're with!"

Last edited:

Blacktop

How bout a little less talking and a little more picture taking Pretzel man?:p

Just messin' with you. Sounds like a great camera. Soon you'll be lusting after the D610.
Good luck .

Pretzel

How bout a little less talking and a little more picture taking Pretzel man?:p

Just messin' with you. Sounds like a great camera. Soon you'll be lusting after the D610.
Good luck .

There are pics on my 365!!! I'm a shooter, not an author. LOL

...and I was ALREADY lusting after the D610.

Hi, my name is Pretzel, and I'm an addict...

TonyD315

Having my 7100 for a few months now, I've been able to put it to the test. One of the MAJOR issues I'm having with it comes more in the design...I'm left eye dominant and when I move the camera up to my eye, my nose sometimes hits the D Pad on the back and the spot focus will jump around, most of the time off of my subject...I think, if i'm correct, I can assign one of the buttons on the front for a Focus Lock? If not I might have to train myself to shoot with my right eye...

randyspann

Having my 7100 for a few months now, I've been able to put it to the test. One of the MAJOR issues I'm having with it comes more in the design...I'm left eye dominant and when I move the camera up to my eye, my nose sometimes hits the D Pad on the back and the spot focus will jump around, most of the time off of my subject...I think, if i'm correct, I can assign one of the buttons on the front for a Focus Lock? If not I might have to train myself to shoot with my right eye...

Interesting problem.. I'm left eye dominant too. You could just switch landscape to portrait! :)

Patrick M

Like the write up BBG. I also went from the D3100 to the D7100...wish I had your writing skills too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Horoscope Fish

Just a thought, but you might want to consider setting up what's called BBF or, Back Button Focus. I used it for a while then switched back (old habits die hard) but it might be just the thing for you. Lots of people, though, use and prefer this configuration.

Last edited:

SteveH

Congrats on your new toy!!! That "wow" feeling doesn't wear off- I've had mine 3 months now! We just spent 5 days away in North Wales, I'm wading through 1050 RAW files!

TonyD315

Just a thought, but you might want to consider setting up what's called BBF or, Back Button Focus. I used it for a while then switched back (old habits die hard) but it might be just the thing for you. Lots of people, though, use and prefer this configuration.

I was just reading about that. I'm going to look into it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveH

I use BBF too, as I find the "fire" button much more sensitive on the D7100 - I find I'm taking shots when I just want to check exposure and focus!

Horoscope Fish

I use BBF too, as I find the "fire" button much more sensitive on the D7100 - I find I'm taking shots when I just want to check exposure and focus!
That's a feature!

You just sit back and relax, pal... The Nikon '7100 will determine when you want to take the shot.

Pretzel

Further adventures:

O.M.G. That big beautiful viewfinder in the 1.3x crop mode allows an old guy to NAIL the focus on far away object!

Also messed with off-camera flash a bit, and even without digging through manuals, setting up the SB700 in slave mode and getting the D7100 into commander mode is quite intuitive. A couple of moments messing around with the menus and I was firing off test shots. I did mess around with HSS flash as well, but the flash becomes "underpowered" pretty quickly as you ratchet up the shutter speed. I'm sure there are times when a good photographer should use HSS, but those times will have to make themselves evident to me at a later date.

Gonna try the "cook me a perfect steak dinner" mode tomorrow, as I'm sure, after all this toying around, the D7100 has that option somewhere...

Moab Man

Great review Pretzel. Let me throw in two cents. The first time I shot American football from the stands under the stadium lights (55-300mm) I was really frustrated with the results as viewed through the cameras LCD. It appeared on the LCD that I was getting a lot of ISO noise at an unacceptable level. At one point I finally quit shooting, but eventually picked the camera back up and soldiered on. Got some great pictures and was quite happy to see that the LCD shows noise far greater than what was in the image. I no longer sweat the "noise" I see on the LCD as it's not really there to the degree the LCD shows.

Has anyone ever mentioned the D7100 is a primal beast of a camera?

egosbar

im pretty comfortable with mine , i think the best thing i love is using the easy iso feature , basically it assigns the iso to the rear scroll wheel , saves fumbling for iso buttons and so easy too thumb the iso , i use aperture priority choose my aperture then if needed thumb the iso too get shutter speed equal too one and a half times focal lenghth , i also love the front top function button ive assigned this for backfocus so i can hold in and let go for spot focus or hold in for continuous , really good if i need too shoot and action shot without changing focus modes

Pretzel

TALK ABOUT PIXEL PEEPING!!! With that many MPs packed into the DX sensor, I have discovered that I can zoom in to 200% and have a fairly clear image still, whereas on the D3100, there was definitely strong pixelation occurring! Also, starting to dig through the recent D7100 guide I bought (by Darrell Young) I'm learning even more every day.

Foreign concept, I know, relating a piece of technology to the animal kingdom, but... this thing is a PRIMAL BEAST!

carguy

Well done, I felt your excitement as I read through your post :)

Having migrated from a D40 to the D7100, I can relate.