D700 focus issue

traunphoto

I am looking for some help here please. My autofocus is not working properly - at all - I should say. I try to focus on something and the lens focuses all the way out; then all the way back while never locking in on anything. I've cleaned contacts and tried different lenses and the focus issue remains the unchanged. No difference in behavior between S and C focus modes.

I am completely stumped. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How many focus point have you selected? How much light and contrast was available for focusing? Which lens were you using?
You might want to try having just one point focus selected, S focus mode, point the focus point to the subject you want in focus, half press the shutter to acquire focus and then recompose and depress the shutter completely.

Focus problems can occur when you have too many focus points selected and the camera has no idea what is the subject, specially when there is patterns in the background.

traunphoto

It doesn't matter if I use my 50mm or my 70-200mm or any other lense. I am using single focus point. There is plenty of contrast. Same results with single or continuous servo. I have plenty of light and contrast is good.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It doesn't matter if I use my 50mm or my 70-200mm or any other lense. I am using single focus point. There is plenty of contrast. Same results with single or continuous servo. I have plenty of light and contrast is good.

Then I'd suggest a trip to the Nikon service center... Nothing else comes to mind. Sorry if you thought the questions I asked were rudimentary, but since the question was your first post on this forum, I had absolutely no idea of where you are coming from and your experience with the camera. Is it still warrantied? I hope so for you.

traunphoto

No worries about rudimentary questions - they are necessary...as you said, you have no idea what kind of experience I have with cameras. I appreciate your replies. This is my second D700. It has been working fine up until today. Completely baffled. No warranty on this or the other - bought both used with low shutter actuations on them. I really enjoy this body having shot a D7000 for a few years and a D60 before that. I will be calling Nikon tomorrow. I was hoping to encounter someone that has had the same experience and knew of a simple solution. Wishful thinking.

rocketman122

No worries about rudimentary questions - they are necessary...as you said, you have no idea what kind of experience I have with cameras. I appreciate your replies. This is my second D700. It has been working fine up until today. Completely baffled. No warranty on this or the other - bought both used with low shutter actuations on them. I really enjoy this body having shot a D7000 for a few years and a D60 before that. I will be calling Nikon tomorrow. I was hoping to encounter someone that has had the same experience and knew of a simple solution. Wishful thinking.

I just had that problem with my D3. put it in repair. they re calibrated the focus. it happened while I was shooting family formals and it started freaking out on me with the 70-200VR1. grabbed my D600 and after calming my nerves I continued.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When you cleaned the contacts, were you able to verify that each of them still had an active spring? Each of them should move freely back to their respective positions after you press on them, otherwise there might just be one of them that doesn't contact and it could affect the focusing.